Exploring Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
May 8th 2012
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After sleeping at Darwin to catch our early morning flight to Cairns we arrived at our Hostel Gilligan's before we could check in, so we grabbed the essentials for a day relaxing in the sun and took the short walk to the man made lagoon.

We were soon laying our sarongs under a shady palm tree snoozing the day away. Since coming off our tour regime of having three meals a day Will has been suffering so Jo decided to wake him up with a double cheese burger from McDonald's which he was very pleased with, and he surprisingly savoured in more than 3 mouthfuls!

Soon it was time to head back to the hostel and enjoy the free dinner they provided, and we were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the turkey escalopes, mash and gravy, so we up sized for an extra $3!

Still feeling a little tired we headed up to the dorm for an early night not waking till 12 the next day! Will nipped to get a quick hair cut after two months of growth, and came back looking like one of the American soldiers we'd seen in Darwin; but what can you expect for $15!

Enjoying the creature comforts of being on the east coast we headed to the mall for some retail therapy, although Jo was under strict instructions to try but no buying!! But it was actually Will who had to be watched as he contemplated 2 new pairs of thongs. On the way we arranged a day snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef for Wednesday with a little haggling to ensure we got a good deal!

After a couple of hours shopping we'd picked up a few essentials and Will had new a pair of thongs or flip-flops as we'd call them in the UK (3rd of the trip!).

Before dinner we had a walk round before again enjoying an up-sized meal of chilly con carne, and then set about updating bloggs and organising some more of the accommodation for the rest of the east coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.1383s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb