Mate, my nips, they're braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwnnnnnnn in Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainnnnnnnnnnnsssssss


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
November 30th 2008
Published: November 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Wow has it ever been a longtime since our last bloggizzle, we have to apologise. See, since we arrived, Australia has been unbelievable. We're talking the stuff we'll think about when we listen to Kenny Chesney songs when he whines about how good things were when he was young, that's what's happening right now. Anyways we started out our Oz Odyssey in lovely Bribane, or Brizzie, or Bris-Vegas, depends on who you ask. After a quiet night in the first night, the boys got hold of one of the new members of their crew, the infamous Matt Stefura. A few jugs later and with plans in hand, the boys knew that they were on the brink of something incredible.

Brisbane is a great city with a beautiful boardwalk and loads of stuff to do during the day. The boys even managed to catch the Rugby League World Cup semifinal where New Zealand stuffed the English, and Dave tried explaining not only rugby to Jordan, but the difference between Union and League, slowly but surely we're getting there. With some time to burn while they waited for Carl Carlsson to arrive on the worlds longest trip (31 hours!), they made the daytrip to see an old friend of Jord's in Surfers Paradise named Morgan Deacon who is doing her law degree there. Just imagine how little work we'd have done at university if there was some of the world's best surf across the road from your campus. After a day of jealousy (we thought our life was good), the boys then went back to Brisbane getting ready for the arrival of the 4th member of their newly formed unit. And arrive he did, waiting with bottles of 'coca cola', or coke and vodka for those with strong senses of smell, Carl finally showed up bleary eyed and a little bit out of it and preceded to catch up on old times with the boys. So two quickly became four. The next day the boys even managed to do a bit of Vasa socialising with Carl, Jord and Dave going to dinner with Mike and Terri (nee Runcer), who cooked an amazing steak dinner and showed us the intricacies of a delicious pavlova dessert (and we're forever greatful), but sadly the next day it was time to leave for Fraser Island where Jamie was awaiting our arrival.

Grabbing a train from Brisbane to Hervey Bay the boys made their way up to meet Jamie (jord and matts friend from university) and Jenny (Jamies friend from Calgary that kind of lives in the area now) to go on a 2 day trip to the incredible Fraser Island. Renting a 4x4 land rover, packing not enough food, and way too much of the Goon (boxed wine) our group of 7 drove around Fraser Island. Fraser is an island entirely of sand, although there are plants, lakes, creeks, and dingoes, yes dingoes on it. Chalk another Unesco site up for the boys. Anyways theres no roads there so you either go through the mud or drive on the beach, so you can imagine how much fun the boys had. Crystal clear swimming and laying around on white sand had its perks as the boys and girls enjoyed their time to the fullest. Anyways after their night on the island it was time to go back to Hervey Bay where the group of 5 (Amazingly Jamie's decided to continue on with the boys, is she crazy?) spent days playing cricket on the beach, visiting shark museums, and basically being lazy while living in an old Winnebago that had an extension built onto it (we have pictures to prove it, best accomodation of the whole trip so far). But again the road was calling us so after a 26 (thats right 26) hour train ride the boys + Jamie, who have now been christened Lil' J-moe and the Hideous Foursome, made it to Cairns which if your aussie is said like Cannes but like CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSS.

Cairns is a really interesting town, its unbelievably humid (Dave sweats by the kilo) up here but the weathers great and the lifestyle is even better. After running into the girls from Sherwood Park again (now how did that happen...?) Lil' J-moe and the Hideous Foursome have been relaxing on the beach where you can't swim due to crocodiles, jellyfish, and god knows what else (thankfully theres public pools), and even made a trek into the jungle (yet another Unesco site) where they saw snakes, reptiles, and carl even got bit and infected by an insect, although we don't know what kind it was so we cant say it was anything cool like a scorpion or something, but dont worry he is now fine. And even managed to see the movie Australia in Australia where the boys each developed a form of mancrush on the man that is Hugh Jackman, or the drover. Anyways if you want to see the type of stuff we've been up to out here, go see that film. Anyways tonight we're on the midnight bus from Cairns to Airlie Beach where we're going sailing in the Whitsundays, we're getting our linen suits, pipes, and glasses of Pimms and rum ready. So until after then we miss and love you all! From the boys, and Lil J-Moe and the Hideous Foursome.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb