Cairns :)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
January 7th 2008
Published: January 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

As you might have gathered we were counting the days... and then the hours til our flight out of Darwin and into Cairns! We stayed up all night waiting for the airport shuttle at 4.45am! Flying into Cairns we got an amazing view of the rainforest coated mountains, sandy beaches and the coral of the great barrier reef under the water - soooooooooooo much better than flat, rainy Darwin!

We're staying at colourful Calypso hostel - very kindly recommended by Sophie! The rooms are good and the buffet dinner is the best food we've had since Bali!

Probably the highlight of our stay in Cairns was our mini roadtrip up the coast towards Cape Tribulation - we hunted round for cheap car hire, and over a jug of beer or 3 that evening we found ourselves some passengers to spread the cost a little! We collected our sky blue Hyundai Getz in the morning, Ian and Beavan folded themselves up to fit in the back and off we went! Armed with our lonely planet and a few random maps we drove up the coast and picked places to stop at... Ellis Beach, Palm Cove, a few view points, Port Douglas, Mossman Gorge and eventually we took a ride on the cable ferry over to Cape Tribulation. Got some pretty good pics as you'll see! The naughty kids in the back provided the journey's entertainment - fortunately Ian brought his ipod and speakers and supplied our roadtrip soundtrack! Infinitely better than the local Aussie radio stations! And Beavan's many bizarre travelling games caused much hilarity and initiated the strangest conversations ever!

Ok, we have to mention THE SPIDER! We went to the loo at Cape Tribulation... I was already in the cubicle when i heard Sel scream... the air was blue! I have never peed so fast and got out, Sel said 'don't wash your hands, and don't look in the sink' so i got out quickly! The biggest spider ever - bigger than your hand - was in the sink - i'm so glad i didn't see it! (Sel wouldn't go back in for a pee!)

We hope that was a more enjoyable read than our Darwin blog!

We've bought ourselves a hop on hop off Greyhound Bus ticket that'll take us all the way down to Melbourne. Our first journey is tonight - we're heading for Airlie Beach - so excited! Its an overnight bus which takes 10 hours - eek! Lets hope we can sleep!

Onward to Airlie Beach.................................!

V and Sel xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx






Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



29th January 2008

Spider, what spider aaaaaaaaaaahhhh!
Very disappointed not to see a photo of this modest size spider, really you girls do exaggerate, how big? Great photos and a good read blog, feels like you're almost there, until you hear the rain on the window in blighty, again. Are you two doing any work to fund things or is it just party party? Look forward to seeing more, oh and next time check under the seatr as well........

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0869s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb