G'day from Bundaberg


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bundaberg
September 28th 2009
Published: September 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We are at Bundaberg after a night at Tannum Sands, just past the very industrial town of Gladstone. It is very dry around all north Queensland, they could sure do with rain and the air is a bit hazy from bushfires. We will be here another night before heading to quiet and pretty Burrum Sands.

We called into the twin towns of 1770 and Agnes Waters on our way to Bundaberg. A thrill on the way out there, we saw two more Brolgas - the first time I'd ever seen them was at Geike Gorge so a rare sighting. One day I hope I'll see them 'dancing'. We were glad we hadn't booked the night at 1770 - although it's a very pretty spot, the caravan park looked choc-a-block. At Agnes Waters I chose fabric to have a swimming costume made once more - reasonably priced and they always fit well - which will be made and will be waiting for me once we're back home.

And so to Bundaberg, such a nice town surrounded by sugar cane farms and strawberry patches. We have spent this morning at the shops and Tara will be glad to know I've at last spent the voucher she gave me for Mother's Day, fun to buy some new clothes. We thought we'll visit the new Hinkler Hall of Aviation, which pays tribute and named after Bundaberg's famous aviator son, Bert Hinkler, but instead decided to come out to the nearby beaches and our favourite, Elliott Heads - black stones, white sand and beautifully blue water.

Next time we're here we'll visit the Hinkler Museum. His home where he lived when he was in England was dismantled and brought to Australia. It is also in the Botanic Garden grounds nr. the Museum. The information on the web page says ...

'Between 1920 and 1931 Bert carved his young name as a respected pioneer aviator creating many aviation records, with his most renowned achievements including a pioneering solo flight from England to Australia in 1928 and the world’s first solo flight across the South Atlantic in 1931.' 'http://hinklerhallofaviation.com/

We have had a few phone calls regarding Doug's old work colleague, Barry, who died a couple of days ago. One was to Sharon, who Doug worked with and who retired with her husband Neville up here in Bundaberg. We're all getting together for afternoon tea in town today...just time for a walk along the beach and to take a few photos. The weather is still divine if a tad windy.

HAPPY 13TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY FOR TODAY JULES AND JASON!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

bundaberg cane fieldsbundaberg cane fields
bundaberg cane fields

just lay your head nearly on your right shoulder and the horizon will be straight! I do have a program to straighten it but it won't work today!


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb