Brisbane and goodbye Australia! (16.10.12 - 19.10.12)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
October 21st 2012
Published: October 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

The hostel in Brisbane was another big impersonal hostel, with a huge kitchen but no kitchen equipment! We had decided to stay in and cook, and we managed to find the bits and pieces we needed and a tiny little space, but when James went to ask for some plates and cutlery (You had to pay a deposit for each set) he was told there was none left. After pointing out that we could not eat they finally found us some odds and ends to use. We actually don't mind paying a deposit for these things, it means you at least have a full set of clean equipment, however if you are going to make that rule, you need to have enough for everyone. It was also another hostel where they had a bar and a no bringing in your alcohol rule, which this time people seemed to be sticking to. So we had a quiet first night in the hostel bar.

In the morning we went out exploring. We did a walking route round the southbank of the river, through the botanical gardens and through the central business district. The south bank is an interesting place, where they have developed an artificial beach and swimming area, right beside the river. This area is really busy with families and tourists, there are lifeguards on duty and it feels like a real beach, just right in the centre of town. The botanical gardens were standardly pretty, and this time packed full of people exercising on their lunch break, most with personal trainers. So we sat and watched them whilst eating our lunch...just to be a bit mean! We did a bit of shopping and headed back to the hostel. Generally with Australia, we are finding the City's to be vibrant busy places and interesting to walk around, but because their history is fairly new, there is not many sights to see and many things to take pictures of, when we have talked to people about Brisbane they were all indifferent "Its just a city" and we can kind of see that. Its a nice city with a pretty riverside and nice cafes and bars, but a city non the less!

We planned to go for a bit of a goodbye Aus night out tonight, but as always when we got to the area that had looked good during the day and it was quiet on the night and crazy expensive. So we ended up having a quick burrito instead, it is just far too expensive in this country!

Our last day in Brisbane was a bit of a sort out day to be honest, not much to tell, went to a few shops, sorted out bits and pieces. By the time we got things sorted and headed to the south bank, planning on spending the afternoon on the city beach and having a swim, the weather had changed and it was not warm enough to go in. So after a bit of reading we gave up and went back to the hostel. We stayed in and cooked again, having a quiet one due to a 5am start for the flight tomorrow.

Off to New Zealand now, and we know we keep saying this, but time is flying far to fast! Australia has been brilliant although expensive, accomodation, food, alcohol and transport - all ridiculous. In asia we had our own bungalows for never more than 20 pounds a night, in Aus, 30 pounds each a night for a bunk bed. The food is not brilliant, and quite bad for you, costing far to much to eat healthily (3 pounds for a single red pepper!?). We couldn't get a round for under 10 pounds for 2 drinks!

Because it was so expensive it made it hard to actually visit the few sights as the entry prices were so high. Australia Zoo cost $59 each, about 40 pounds; it made us reluctant to go anywhere where there was a fee.

We loved most places we went, mostly finding that we never had enough time. We think you need months just to see the east coast, and very deep pockets! We have also been very well looked after by friends on this part of the trip and thank you all! Hopefully we will be able to visit again! Now time for a new adventure, NZ here we come!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0639s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb