Leaving Noosa & a fabulous day in Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
September 11th 2010
Published: September 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Valentino exhibitionValentino exhibitionValentino exhibition

at the Museum of Modern Art
It was hard to tear ourselves away from Noosa - it's so lovely there and we had perfect weather. We added another night to our stay and fitted in a day at the beach, a ferry ride down the river to Noosa Heads - always lovely to be on the water and see the parkland, shops and houses from a different perspective - and lunch at the Surf Club at the end of the beach. We had a front table and enjoyed our view of the beach and the swimmers.

We left the caravan park yesterday morning and drove around the streets of Tewantin, passing a couple of houses we were very keen on winning in Art Unions several years ago. This road took us to the car ferry which crosses Lake Coroibah, the waterway that extends from the Noosa River into Tewantin. Across this waterway is the Noosa North Shore and the gateway to the Great Sandy National Park. We have always wanted to do this run but had been told it was a rough dirt road. About 12 months ago the road had been sealed, so we decided now we'd go and see what was there.

From
from the Surf Club, looking over Noosa Beachfrom the Surf Club, looking over Noosa Beachfrom the Surf Club, looking over Noosa Beach

You can see the beach we visited via ferry, on the north shore, in the background
the ferry, we drove through the national park, which looked to mostly consist of scrubby trees, till we came to the end of the bitumen and the beach. This is the 40 mile beach that runs from the Noosa River up to the Coloured Sands of Tewantin and, round from there, Rainbow Beach to Fraser Island, the largest sand island in the world. We parked the motor home and walked across the fine white sand to the water. There were quite a few 4 wheel drive vehicles and talking to one driver, were told it was a very popular place and many people were already camped along the beach (I presumed he meant up in the bush near the sand).

When we drove back to the ferry and Tewantin, we were surprised at the long queue of 4WDs waiting to board, it's a popular place especially for weekend stays. I suppose fishing is the thing as there's absolutely nothing else there apart from the beautiful beach. There is a caravan park - it didn't look like it was powered but looked busy. We had light rain on and off driving then from Tewantin down to Aspley, a northern suburb of Brisbane, where we spent last night.

Today dawned sunny and warm. It was such a fun day, but very hectic. First a drive to Chermside shopping centre, HUGE, it went on and on, where we found a place where we could post Alex's birthday present and then buy a pair of comfortable sandals for me. We then drove into Brisbane .. so many new roads and flyovers going ahead there, fun fun in a motor home .. making sure we didn't get in the lane that went into tunnels! We found Black and Spiro, Anna Spiro's wonderful interior decorating shop. I've followed her blog and she has wonderful taste and her shop reflects it .. lots of colour which suits up here so well, gorgeous.

Then we parked the motor home at the park past B&S at New Farm and caught the river cat along the Brisbane River. The river snakes through the city and the cat trip is a favourite of mine, many times while Doug worked I'd spend time on it. We got off at Southbank with the idea of going to the Valentino exhibition at the Museum of Modern Art but first .. we found they now have a ferris wheel! We had to go on that! So we went up there, getting great views of Southbank and the city, it reminded us of the one in London without the hype and a fraction of the price!

From there we walked to the gallery and to the Valentino exhibition. The clothes were breathtaking! Such wonderful workmanship, tucks and frills and sequins and beads, beautiful, beautiful clothes. Jackie Kennedy's wedding dress (when she married Onassis), Christina Onassis' wedding dress, dreses worn by Audrey Hepburn, Julia Roberts, Cate Blanchett, more and more - all soooo wonderful. We went around twice and I hated to leave, but we'd booked in to a caravan park north of Surfers and had an hour or more's trip ahead of us. We caught the cat back to New Farm and were very pleased to flop into the motor home, then the mad drive out of Brissie and here we are. What a great day!



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Southbank, BrisbaneSouthbank, Brisbane
Southbank, Brisbane

Taken from the ferris wheel. This was the place where Expo 88 was held - a great time. The beach and pool they've built at Southbank can be seen about the centre of the photo


12th September 2010

Wow That was MY KIND of day... Would love to seethat shop..I follow that blog because of you.
12th September 2010

Great shop, Judi, I love all the colour! I would have loved to have taken photos of the Valentino clothes but photos weren't allowed

Tot: 0.555s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.4861s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb