Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
April 18th 2010
Published: April 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Spent a few days in Redcliff where we got Tank fixed up ready for the next part of the trip. We have explored Brisbane and by foot, train, bus and water so I think we have seen most of it now as it is really only quite small. Like most places it has a small China Town and a lovely botanical gardens.



Michael's memories of Brisbane are coming back to him but the places has changed a lot in 35 years and the road layouts are very different. We walked from out of town through Fortitude Valley where Michael was a police officer and we passed the pub that used to be the local brothel but is now the a gay bar. The area is still renound for drugs and prostitution though.



We have also spent some time around Sandgate which is where they spent most of their time living here. We visited the old football club "Brighton Bulldogs" which is where Michael was secretary and coach and Shenton and his brother Andrew both played for teams. This is true as I saw pictures still on the wall from 1972/3 with both Shenton and his dad on it! Michael caught up with someone who remembered him from when he was here.



We spent a day trying to find the Chinese embassy to get a visa but it looks like we may have to change our plans as they didnt like the state of Shentons passport. We tried to go to the British Embassy but apparently they cant do anything about it other than him apply for a new passport which would take 6 weeks. Anyway it is all part of the adventure so lets see where we end up. I guess it will be somewhere where we dont need a visa and they dont want to know exactly where you will be on what dates and what we plan to do and who with, this does not really fit in with our way of travel.



There is a massive bridge, about 2km long, which we have to travel across each day to get from Brisbane to Redcliff, it is a new bridge but is next to one called the Hornibrook Highway. This bridge was built in the 1930's and is about to be demolished but it brouhgt back lots of memories for Michael as when he was a police officer he remebers having to drive across it at 80mph in hot pursuit.



The beaches here are different to the ones in New South Wales and it seems kite surfing is more popular than surfing, we saw loads of soldier crabs one day and they all have bright blue backs. When you approach them they circle into the sand which is quite funny to watch.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Check out black coatCheck out black coat
Check out black coat

I think he is taking the whole guitar hero a bit far!
Crabs and kite surfersCrabs and kite surfers
Crabs and kite surfers

Yes they can share the same beach


23rd April 2010

hey shenton ,, must be so nostalgic ,, for you and good connecter fa you n ya dad ,, ,

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0715s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb