Fraser Island, Glashouse Mountains, Brisbane


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
December 9th 2009
Published: December 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decided to book a guided tour as it didn’t rain for ages and therefore the sand was very soft on fraser island. We got picked up at 7.30 at the caravan park we were staying at. We set over to the island from river heads (a few km south of hervey bay). After 1 hour on the ferry we arrived on the largest sand island of the world. Our first stop after 30 min driving over sand tracks was central station. It used to be the main camping area on fraser but it is just for picking now. We did a nice rainforest walk along a creek. The water is so clear that it is actually hard to make out if there is actually water in the creek.

From central station we crossed the island on drove on the 75 mile beach. We headed north to happy valley to have lunch there. After lunch we went further north to eli creek. The largest creek on the island, still not really big enough to go swimming but we went in as it was very refreshing. After this little swim our 4 wheel drive took us to the Coloured Sands. The Coloured Sands is a formation created by the gradual erosion of the sand bed. Its beautiful pinnacle like structures of reds, oranges and gold sand can be found on the eastern beach. The next stop was Indian Head. It is like a cape and as the rocks are about 50 meters over sea level you have a good view. The water is so clear and full with fish that you can see a lot from up here. We saw sharks, dolphins, stingrays and turtles. It is one of the few places where you can find sharks and dolphins together as there is so much food for them. A really unforgettable view a nice coastline (but you don’t want to go swimming after you saw how close the sharks come). The Indian Head was the most northern point we would go to so we drove back on the 75 miles beach. This time we stopped at the ship wreck. It is weird to see the old ship rusting there. Even it isn’t nature it looks still nice with its brown colour on the sand. After this long day we drove back to Happy Valley. Our room were very nice and after dinner we had some drinks at the beach (it was nearly full moon).

Breakfast was at 7.00 the next morning. Jonas and me woke up 2 minutes before so we were a bit too late but still got some of it :P The first thing we did at our 2nd day was a 45 minute walk to lake wabby. It is at the end of a 5km long sand blow. We had a nice long swim in the green water and spend nearly 2 hrs at the lake. After we walk back to the bus it was nearly lunch time. We had some wraps for lunch and headed to the next lake. Lake birrabeen. A really amazing place. The beach was nearly as clear as the Whitehaven beach with more than 95% silica but the water was even more impressive. As it is filtered by all the sand it is so clear. Surrounded by rainforest, a crystal-clear blue lake with a white beach. We spend another 2 hrs here and we really didn’t want to leave again, but we had to catch the ferry back. We had to really good days on Fraser Island and met lots of fun people from all over the world again.

We left Hervery bay the same night. Unluckily we hit a echidna on the road. It isn’t very big but it has very hard spikes. Some of the spikes gone in the tire but as we didn’t lose too much air we drove on an toped up the air every 20km. We stayed the night at a free rest area and continued like that to Noosa the next morning. As it was a Sunday we could do anything about it and just hoped for the best. Noosa was nice but very touristy and very expensive. After we came back from lunch our tire was flat. So we had to get the spar tire on. It was quite fun in the middle of Noosa. We stayed the night at a free rest area again as Noosa was just too expensive for us.

As the rest area was close to Nambour we got a 2nd tire there the next morning. In the end it was quite cheap and just took us 2 hrs so not too bad. With a new tire we left for the Glasshouse Mountains and went on top of the Ngungun. We had a very nice view over the other mountains after a steep climb. We spend the night on a rest area again not far away from Brisbane. This morning we drove into Brisbane. We booked a Hostel here for 2 nights. Yesterday we walked (A LOT) around Brisbane and went clubbing in the night. Brisbane is really nice with this skyline at the river….



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



17th December 2009

Daytrip to Fraser Island
I just came back from a daytrip to Fraser Island and the place is truly amazing. We visited the island east coast alongside the Seventy Five Mile Beach and the rainforest and the lakes as well. Lake McKenzie was breath taking and also the Moheno Shipwreck was pretty amazing.

Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb