Brisbane 3 visits 3 heygo guides ! April & December


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane
April 8th 2021
Published: January 2nd 2022
Edit Blog Post

DAVID - Brisbane City is colloquially referred to as the "Brisbane CBD" or "the city". It is located on a point on the northern bank of the River Brisbane, historically known as Meanjin, Mianjin or Meeanjin in the local Aboriginal Australian dialect. The triangular shaped area is bounded by the median of the Brisbane River to the east, south and west. The point, known at its tip as Gardens Point, slopes upward to the north-west where the city is bounded by parkland and the inner city suburb of Spring Hill.The City is laid out according to a grid pattern surveyed during the city's early colonial days, a feature typical of most Australian street patterns. As a general rule, the streets aligned northwest-south east are named after male members of the HOuse of Hanover, while the northeast-south west aligned streets are named after female members.

MARK - Located just across the Brisbane River from the CBD, the Kangaroo Point Cliffs are perhaps the most dramatic natural land formation in the inner city. It’s an iconic part of the Cityscape.

ALEX - Life in Brisbane revolves around the outdoors. As the capital of Australia's Sunshine State. Alex packed a lot into
his walk around the city.

Starting at the General Post Office - The history of this site predates the 1872 construction of the Brisbane GPO. During the convict settlement the Female Factory or women’s prison was situated here, deliberately isolated from the rest of the settlement to keep the women away from the unwanted attention of other male prisoners and officers.

We saw a lovely mix of new and old buildings.

The treasury building was first erected in 1886, 2020 marked 25 years for the site to be housing one of Brisbane’s premier entertainment and accommodation destinations.

The Albert St church, circa 1889, must be the prettiest church in the city. The Victorian gothic tower is reflected in the surrounding glass of the skyscrapers.

St Stephen’s Cathedral with it’s gorgeous stained glass windows - amongst the finest in Australia.

Brisbane Arcade built in 1923 on the site of notorious confessed murderer Patrick Mayne’s butcher shop.

Built between 1920 and 1930, Brisbane City Council's heritage-listed City Hall sits in the heart of Brisbane City. As a complete contrast there are 15 metal spheres adorning the square by sculptor Donna Marcus the official name of
artwork is “Steam”. Most of Donna’s art is created from discarded aluminum kitchen appliances and true to her style the balls are made of used vegetable steamers, 7000 to be precise!

The placement of the individual balls was actually intended to be random. The artist determined their placement by throwing miniature versions of the sculpture across a miniature Brisbane square and then places the real sculpture in the same location.

Christopher Trotter’s prominent mechanical kangaroos provided a nice between Alex and the one lounging on the bench.

The Petrie Tableau - The tableau depicts the departure of Andrew Petrie for an inland expedition from the Moreton Bay Settlement in 1842. Petrie's wife Mary is handing him a drinking bottle as their daughter Isabella watches. Young Tom Petrie plays on the river bank with two of his Aboriginal friends.

His experiences were later recorded and became a classic document of Aboriginal tribal life. John Petrie, who went on to become Brisbane's first Mayor and a prominent engineer, holds his father's impatient horse. The event is observed a convict recently freed from his shackles by Petrie.

Alex couldn’t resist wrestling with the bronze kangaroos.

Streets Beach
our last point of the tour, Australia’s only inner-city, man-made beach boasts a sparkling blue lagoon surrounded by white, sandy beaches and sub-tropical plants.

Streets Beach is free to use and is patrolled by qualified lifeguards all year round.

A brilliant tour. Http://www.heygo.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 24


Advertisement




















Tot: 0.431s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.142s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb