Family Reasons


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Mt Coot tha
June 21st 2013
Published: August 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Almost exactly half way up the coast of Australia and marking halfway in our campercar journey, it was time to stop in at more relations, more distant ones this time. Just before we left, it was revealed to me that my Granda Jim would be in Brisbane at the same time we would be. So in order to take advantage of this good fortune, and to meet a section of my family I've never met before, we would drop in for a couple of days. Apparently certain people had doubts as to whether or not we would make it on time, it being something of a long shot to time it exactly right, and get to an address in an entirely unknown city, and survive Amelia's driving along the way. Well we made it, so there.

The day we arrived was in fact Ian's birthday, so after saying hello to both him and Granda Jim, we anxiously awaited the arrival of a certain number of grandchildren. It was carnage. Assorted children under the age of 5 arrived with their associated parents and the battle ensued. Apparently the 6 cousins hadn't seen each other for a while and on sight of their long lost play mate, went hyper. Just my idea of relaxation. The first to arrive was Jodie-Ann and Jeremy, with their children, Ethan (2) and Luca (6 months). It so happens that they live on the bottom floor of the house, but I'll let Amelia cover that bit. Fortunately however, the everyone above 5 kept us well looked after, culminating in a feast of Domino's and cake. A finer meal cannot be had in all of Christendom! In time all the young 'uns were tired out and ferried off to their various homes. The sweet relief of peace and quiet. It also transpired that we were knackered too, and we allocated a couple of mattresses and slept in the living room. Ah, the luxury and comfort after ten long nights sleeping without cushioning in the back of an estate car! Mustn't get used to it.

The next day was a Saturday, so I thought it would be nice to give our gracious hosts a break from Granda Jim's constant chatting, and spend a little time with the old geezer. So off we went to Mount Coo'tha, with its panoramic vista over Brisbane. It was a beautiful day and the views were indeed magnificent. Continuing an old family tradition I suggested we have a coffee, and so we did, with Granda paying. We then decided to have a wander around the botanic gardens, as it was such a lovely day. We drove into the city and found what is quite possibly the most expensive car park known to mankind. As we wandered about the gardens it was all very pleasant. Central Brisbane struck me as a very well laid out modern, shiny place, but without much soul. Perhaps I'm being harsh, having been there for a grand total of 3 hours. I didn't see any of the interesting alleyways and lanes that you find in most European cities that give character to a place.



Whilst we were out and about, we couldn't help but notice a smattering of red shirts wherever we walked. Yes, the British and Irish Lions were in town with the first international test being played that evening. As we wandered around, we couldn't help chatting to a few supporters, and decided to chance our luck and see if we could watch it that evening on TV. We could. I shall refrain from giving a blow by blow account of it, but it was an edge of the seat nail-biter of a game. The walking must have tired Granda out, as he was in bed before the end of the first half. Ian also turned in shortly after. I assume it was because Australia were losing...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb