River Walk


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Kangaroo Point
February 24th 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We got up at about 06:40 and had some breakfast. We then spent the morning relaxing and watching the boats go past on the river outside. We saw the resident kookaburra on the balcony opposite, but he didn't want to come and say hello to us.

At about 10:30, we packed a picnic lunch for ourselves and headed off towards the city.

We walked all the way along Southbank, looking at the flood damage and the markers showing how high the water came to. We also saw lots and lots of water dragons, some of them were HUGE! We saw ibis to and pigeons that have spiky bits on their heads. We took lots of photos of everything.

We walked across the Goodwill bridge and witnessed lots of people attempting to raise an old steam ship which had sunk in a dry dock... yes, sunk, underwater, in a DRY dock The floods may have had something to do with this! When we got to the other side of the river we walked through the botanical gardens until we found a suitable sunny bench where we ate our picnic lunch by the side of the river. We then went over to the pond where we saw moorhens, ibis, water dragons (one of them going for a swim), terrapins and two huge eels (one of which Chris poked with a stick to make it come to the surface for a better photo!)

We walked through the city and all the way along Eagle Street Pier (which was, until a few weeks ago, completely underwater) and back to the appartment over the Story Bridge. We both had a moment of panic when we thought that Brisbane was being struck by an earthquake as the whole bridge wobbled under our feet! The panic was over when we realised that the wobbling only happened when large trucks drove past!

We returned to the appartment and spent the afternoon doing a jigsaw puzzle and watching the river.

Dad and Sophie came home at about 6pm and we had meatloaf and butternut squash for dinner which was really yummy. After dinner we drove up Mount Coot-tha (via the middle of nowhere, thanks to the sat nav once again) and looked out over the city with all its lights on. We saw crickets, bats and an oystercatcher, but thankfully, as they can write cars off, no kangaroos!

We got back at about 9pm and went straight to bed as we were both shattered!

Advertisement



25th February 2011

Sounds like you are both having fun. Glad to hear you are tasting all the food Chris and enjoying it! Skype soon, maybe at the weekend and we can have a chat. Love to all Mum XX

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb