Hurry Up And Wait


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We had to head off in the morning as Dunc had managed to get some Stereophonics concert tickets. They were playing in Brisbane and we had managed to secure four. The Phonics are favourites of ours…… and Lisa came along too. She is into that “Boom, Boom” rubbish, and mixed with a dodgy educational past means that she can tell a story or two. The concert didn’t start well, not only were the doors opened one and a half hours late but during the wait ‘Wheaters’ managed to pull a ‘whitey’. The explanation was that she had consumed a dodgy Veggo burger, but maybe she had just been standing up for too long (You know how much she likes the sofa). The result was that Lisa managed to spew her ring (sometimes through her fingers) all over the pavement, across the road from the waiting queue. The highlight of this event were the comments thrown from the crowd and passers-by, such as “take her home” and “go on love” or “you are meant to have the night out first”. After a while of Ovenstone nursing (holding hair and promising that no-one is watching), the Wheaters started to feel a tad better and rejoined us in time to enter the venue. Once in we mortared our way to the bar, as you can imagine we were dying of thirst, we stuck our fingers in our ears for the support acts and waited for the magic to begin. The Australian support act made a faux pas when addressing the crowd of saying that the Phonics were English, prompting an obscene reponse from the Welsh in the crowd. Then….. the main event. Yes, yes it was out of the top drawer, to watch them live would have been a buzz enough, but to do it on the other side of the world and in such a small venue brought a certain glee to the proceedings.

They filled the tiny venue (max 1500) and sang all their most famous classics and a few new ones. We all managed to get a great view of Ceri and the boys, it was amazing. We were jumping up and down and singing our hearts out. Duncan was asked by the sound man if he could quieten down a bit. A great night was had by us, and Lisa survived watching a rock band.

The next day brought an Exodus, not the one that is in the Bible or that ‘Marley’ sang about but the travelling kind. We were back to Southport to drop off Drunkie, gee whiz the suspension was happy, then headed off to a place called Broken Head. Not the kind that Powelly gets on a Monday morning but the one South of Byron Bay.

We only had one hitch, the interior lights of the van broke when we came out of the supermarket. So we had to abandon our plans and have another night back in Main Beach campsite. The next day we headed south as planned, with an appointment to fix the lights first thing Monday morning.






Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0846s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb