Flat country


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Boulia
August 31st 2005
Published: September 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

After a 5am start, we travelled into real outback today - miles and miles of flat, red country that was surprisingly green after recent rainfalls. We spotted a BLACK HEADED PYTHON by the side of the road and stopped in Winton (famous for being both the birthplace of QUANTAS and the venue for the first performance of the unofficial Aussie anthem "Waltzing Matilda").

For a BBQ lunch we visited the awe-inspiring Carrisbrook Cattle Station which is set upon a vast tableland and were taken to see some aboriginal rock art by a waterhole on the property.

Later in the afternoon we stopped at the Middleton Pub - we're talking real middle-of-nowhere stuff with racing camels in the backyard and some top crazy outback characters including a cowboy-hatted bar tender who chased the girls in the group around with a bullwhip!

That evening we stayed at the Wirrelyerna Cattle Station, situated in the flattest country you're ever likely to see, where we ate dinner around the campfire, saw the most amazing light-pollution-free night sky, avoided the mad headbutting pet sheep and took turns holding (fighting over) a orphaned Joey that the owners are raising to be released back into a dingo-free sanctuary in 18 months time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Cattle countryCattle country
Cattle country

Carrisbrook Station's 3 sisters


Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0931s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb