DAY 25 BIRDSVILLE


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Birdsville
July 3rd 2022
Published: July 3rd 2022
Edit Blog Post

We are camped a good Glenn Maxwell throw from the current bank of the muddy khaki coloured Diamantina River as it slowly moves downstream to flow into Lake Eyre. A lone pelican drifting with the current greeted us as we began our walk to the causeway and onto the Karit-Tjuru Bridge over the Diamantina River approximately 4kms away.

Before we reached the road leading onto the causeway, we could see that traffic was at a standstill. Every vehicle was towing. The hold up was for fuel, where 6 queues had formed. As we walked, the traffic jam passed us as it became longer and longer and longer extending to on and over the Karit-Tjuru Bridge. We had never seen so many vehicles wanting to get into a country town, a small outback one come to that. We reached the bridge and then continued inland for another km to “Burkes Tree”. Those familiar with Australian history would know of Burke and his co-explorer friend, Wills, both perishing in this harsh land in 1861.

When we were back at the bridge the jam was still a jam. Even with my poor gait, we left them staring at our backs as we faded into the distance of Birdsville town.

The remainder of the day was rest and recuperate. The constant wind, even though not ferocious, has not let up all day, keeping the temperature low, registering 15oC, feels like 10oC.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement





Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb