Bargara and the turtles at Mon Repos


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bargara
December 5th 2015
Published: December 4th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Friday 4 December

A good nights sleep again. We awoke at 7.30 am and did all the usual packing and getting ready.

I forgot to mention yesterday, when we were at Emu Park we saw a statue called The Singing Ship. It is partially made up of hollow tubes, which the wind blows through and yes it does make a noise, not sure you would call it singing, but whatever. It was created to commemorate the bicentenary of Captain Cook who passed this way in May 1770.

We were on the road and on our way to Bargara, our destination for today at 9.15 am.

We drove towards and through Rockhampton a large town along the A1 Bruce highway. Unfortunately, whilst on the main highway a lorry on the other carraige threw up a stone and cracked and chipped our windscreen.

At a little place called Benaraby we stopped at 11.45 am for breakfast in a very twee and retro place, which was delightful. We both had bacon and eggs with toast.

Some old but very recognisable memorobilia in the cafe.

On our way again and we took another back road at Miriam Vale and drove on a quiet road to Bundaberg.

When we were driving through we spotted a windscreen repair place, did a uturn and spoke to the guy who said he could fix it straight away, it would take about half an hour and would be AUS$80.

So half an hour later we were on our way and you could barely see a mark on the windscreen

We found our way to the motel and checked in at 3.30 pm.

In our research (actually my research for a change) we found that there is a turtle beach at Mon Repos along the coast, so after asking the Manager information, we looked it up online and booked for a turtle watch tonight. Cost AUS$11.60 each.

So we took a drive for a recce to the place and it was about 10 minutes away.

Stopped at Woolworths on the way back for more supplies and back to the chalet. Then a walk into the town located 30 metres away, to see the shops and the sea.

Back again for some tea and then off.

We left at 6.15 pm and joined the 150 other people awaiting a turtle. There is a visitor centre which you are proessed through to get your group number, we were No. 3.

The first group was called at 7.45 pm, the second at 8.00 pm. The second group returned after a short while as the turtle apparently had turned back to the sea.

At 8.20 pm group 2 back out again.

We wandered around the visitor centre, the same as other group 3 people awaiting a turtle.

At 9.30 pm one of the Rangers gave a presentation on turtles and specific information on Loggerheads. As she was doing this another Ranger interrupted her to say there was a turtle coming ashore. She asked us to gather at the Northern boardwalk for us to be escorted out.

It is very dark and we made our way along the shore. The Turtle is approached from behind and was beginning to dig a hole for it's eggs. They place a torch behind in such a way that the turtle is unaware and you get to see the rear flippers digging and scooping, then flicking away the sand.

Next comes the egg laying into the hole and after she starts laying her eggs, they do measurements and note the tag number, which tells them when she has been ashore before and rough age and so on.

They reach sexual maturity at 30 years old. This one was about 41 years old.

As she was laying, a commentary and information is given by the Ranger. One of the things we were told is that this particular egg laying hole was in a bad place and we were going to be involved in a nest relocation. When she has left they dig another hole in a better place and move all the eggs.

They have up to 2 hours to do this after which time the eggs cannot be moved in any rotation or the embroyo becomes removed from the food sac in the egg.

The turtle gradually moved off after doing all her covering the nest routine, although compared to others she was in no hurry and apparently taking her time.

As she went back towards the sea, some of the group followed her, but we stayed to watch the Ranger uncover to nest, which it's location had been carefully noted as even a short while afer they can be difficult to find once the turtke has replaced the sand.

The Ranger carefully withdrew 131 eggs, each the size of a ping pong ball. Then we were all asked to participate in moving a few eggs at a time to the new hole which was about 10 metres up the dune. Pat and I did two runs and I carried six then five eggs. A young Italian guy was at the hole carefully placing the eggs inside.

The new hole's location was noted for their research records.

As all of this was going on with at least three other turtles were coming ashore and other Rangers monitoring and taking measurements etc.

With our turtle swimming away and the new hole covered up, we were escorted back to the visitor centre, by now the time was 12.30 am, but for us had been a truly memorable experience.

A short drive back to the chalet.










Advertisement



Tot: 0.372s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1292s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb