Diveing Yongala


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Ayr
June 1st 2011
Published: June 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a 20k ride from Ayr to Alva beach i got to the Yongala backpackers.
We went for the dive the nexted morning and was fantasic as evey one says that dives there that all the sea life is on steroyds down there. Everything is big and moveing fast. The ship is coverd in Coral but what do you expect after 100 years.
The passenger ship SS Yongala sank off Cape Bowling Green, Queensland, Australia on 23 March 1911. En route from Melbourne to Cairns she steamed into a cyclone and sank south of Townsville. Traces of the ship were found days later as cargo and pieces of wreckage washed ashore at the Cape and at Cleveland Bay.
All one hundred and twenty-two people on board perished in what is considered one of the most tragic incidents in Australian maritime history. It was only in 1958 that the wreck of the Yongala was discovered lying in waters south of Townsville, and it has since become renowned as an internationally regarded diving and tourist destination. But one should rember that when diveing there that not only is it a sucken ship but it is a Tomb with 122 souls still in side so be respectful.
I left Alva beach on friday and got on the move again i made it 110ks for the day and camped in the bush.





Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.217s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb