Australia Zoo and the Irwins....love it!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Australia Zoo
January 17th 2009
Published: February 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

17/1/09 = Australia Zoo....Brilliant 😊

V.tired when alarm went off at 6:15. Couldn't even roll out of bed because was on top bunk. Half walked/half slid down ladder, picked up clothes and washbag prepared night before and went to get in shower in hopes would magically wake me up. Did feel better after shower, but already late then. Had quick, but huge bowl of museli, did last packing up, then checked out. Had to walk to greyhound bus stop because rubbish Base hostel only do pick-ups, not drop-offs; really is a rubbish hostel! Walk was v.painful. Only 10mins, but felt like 10hrs. Really need to do something about the weight of these bags! The fact that am having to use the plural of the word bag = one of major things am doing wrong! Got there just about i one piece and glad that didn't have to wait too long for bus. Got all sitting together and was only a short journey anyway. All getting v.excited.

Arrived at zoo at 9:15 and was really happy to find there was no queue. Got discounted ticket with YHA card ($46) and got straight in. Already looked great because had lots of
Crocs gallore...Crocs gallore...Crocs gallore...

...although this may be an alligator actually; sorry, still don't know difference!
zoo keepers outside with animals could stroke - awesome (will probably overuse this word in this blog...sorry). Had to make our way to lockers and pay $15 to store bags. Hadn't even thought about fact that had all big bags on us...good job they even had lockers! Squashed our things into 2 lockers, then headed off. Walked through alligator section first, quite cool, then carried on to find Crocosaum = main part of zoo. On way, saw people crowding round a baby alligator pen. Negotiated way to front (there are some bonuses of being little) and saw a young, blonde haired boy, dressed in a khaki zoo unifrom, stalking around pen and trying to catch alligators. Took a minute before had to guess was Steve Irwin's son. No way any other little boy would be allowed or even want to roam around in an alligator pen. Cool. Loved Steve. Watched him for a while, then carried on journey to Crocoseum. Koalas were right next to it, so had a little nosey at them (cute as ever), then read timetable and joined queue for elepahnt feeding. Was a huge queue and nearly gave up. Glad we didn't though, because once started,
Another croc/alligatorAnother croc/alligatorAnother croc/alligator

Help me out someone...waht is difference? Know you know Mum!
queue went down really quickly. Only got 5secs to feed him and was really hard to catch a picture. Cool to do, but not as good as riding and feeding elephants in Thailand. Made me realise how lucky I am to even say that.

Fed elephants, then went to first part of Crocoseum. Photos with koalas were just about to begin and Me and Deb decided to pay to get one. Cost $16 to cuddle him and get a photo, but have loved koalas so much that was definitely worth it. Gave him a big squeeze and in return he showed me how sharp his claws were. Dug straight in. The smile in the photo is half joy/half pain. Didn't hurt that bad, but can fully appreciate how he clings to branches all day! Finally got to Crocoseum then and got seats for main show = Wildlife Warriors (a.k.a. Croc show). Started with some singers and dancers and got really excited when Bindi (Steve Irwin's daughter) came out singing and dancing too. Do love Bindi, but excitement had well and truly faded 40mins later when they were all still singing and dancing. Come to zoo to see animals, not
He got me...He got me...He got me...

...don't think he liked the fact that I didn't know what he was!
singing and dancing, and were already pushed for time. Saved show when animals came out, because were all restless. Started with snakes....v.v.v big snakes that took several zoo keepers to hold them. Snakes went off then and birds came on. Do love animals, but not a big fans of the birds, so didn't take too much notice of this part of show. Just waiting for crocs....Was so happy when Terry Irwin jogged out with two Irwin children behind her. Awesome. They did a bit of a talk (she was actually really entertaining), then kids moved to side and the croc got let out. Show = Terry feeding and luring croc in, with another guy to distract croc when needed. Was brilliant to watch. Crocodile looked great in water and the feeding was brilliant. Ended with the guy running through the water and the croc swimming behind him to catch him. He got a good head start, but still sounded scared. Was a really good show and great to see Irwins; confirmed that had seen Steve Irwin's son earlier in day = Robert.

Crocodile show finished at 12:30 and we decided to seperate then, because I really wanted to otter
Like Father, like Son.Like Father, like Son.Like Father, like Son.

Saw this little boy scrambling around in alligator pen...did'nt know who he was, but didn't take long to guess.
show. Do love the otters! On way to otters, saw all crocodiles; are alot of them here. Otters were brilliant though. Have been obsessed with them ever since Singapore zoo. They sat there doing the usual poses and making the usual cutest noises ever. Really wish could stroke one. Guy came out to feed them and told us some really good information about them, like how clever and greedy they are. Apparently will eat anything and if an animal goes into pen, they are lucky to come out alive - especially birds and lizard/water dragons. He told us about various escapes they have made, including using leaves and branches as bridges across sides of pen, dragging stones across to make steps to walk over sides and even smashing glass with stones to get out. Not even allowed a gate on pen because are clever enough to pick locks. Short-Clawed Asian Otters are best animals ever!

After otters, wondered around looking at lizards, turtles, dingos, camels and more koalas. Disappointed that didn't get to see a Tasmanian Devil. Meeting Deb and Hat at 2pm, so still had some time left. Went to see wombats and fell totally in love with
Soooo lazySoooo lazySoooo lazy

Look at this little guy; actually collapsed with exhaustion, even though he's already slept 7 out of 8hrs today!
them too. Didn't manage to see one of them alive in wild (only dead on side of road) and they were so cute - really wanted to touch one. Look so lazy; one little guy even passed out asleep on his back. Awesome. Walked through snake section (not my cup of tea, but still gave them, a look), through bird section (again, same as snakes) and arrived in kangaroo park. Was totally surprised to see that was a big field full of loose kangaroos, with people feeding and stroking them freely and no park keepers. Were only allowed to stroke kangaroos in Singapore zoo if supervised. Had a walk round and stroked some, but was nerly 2pm, so did a quick loop back to meet Deb and Hat. They had seen what I needed to see and vice versa, so we stayed seperate and I went back to kangaroos. Was good that they still had some kangaroo food left, so took that to feed them with. Was brilliant. Stroked and fed loads of them and asked people to take some quick pictures for me too. Got a bit cocky then and decided to take some head shots of me and a kangaroo. He took it really well at first and was loving the food, but when the food ran out and I was still cheeky enough to lean into him, he gave me a swift headbut/punch combo and that put me back in my place. Didn't really hurt, more of a shock, but I didn't hang around him anymore! Point taken.

Walked through to koala section next. Could stroke him and get a photo. Really can't get enough of the koalas. Luckily, ran into Charlotte here (girl met in Sydney) and she told me to quickly get to tigers because had been a really good show on. Deb and Hat had said that there was nothing going on when they went, so had planned to miss it out, but really glad I went. Saw elephants en route (v.cool) and tigers were all playing when I got there. They were brilliant and ended up watching them for ages, until time ran out and had to rush back to meet Deb and Hat. Was a v.quick walk back, nip into gift shop and a quick pick up of koala photo. Headed back to lockers then to get bags ready to catch
Hand under his bum..Hand under his bum..Hand under his bum..

(not the preferred place).
bus in 15mins time. Turned out to be late anyway! Got on it exhausted from day, but really impressed with zoo. I didn't quite get round it all, but loved what I did see.

Journey to Noosa was only short, but coudn't help falling to sleep for an hour anyway. Got into Noosa at 5 and stress began. Going on canoe safari tomorrow morning and supposed to attend meeting before it, but office closed at 5:30 and didn't have time to get there. Lady on phone tried to give us information, but absolutely rubbish and didn't really have a clue what we were doing. Mini bus came to take us to hostel (which was really nice) and asked about supermarket, as had to buy all own food and drink for trip. Stress continued at nice reception lady told us supermarket had just closed, so only option = expensive conveniance store and no alcohol. Rubbish! Threw our things into our room (which was v.nice 4 bed female room with en suite) and came back outn to catch free shuttle to conveniance store. Shop was a joke! V.v.v.v expensive and only had v.basic foods. Spent $50 on just bread, pasta and soup. Rip off! Walked back to hostel (not far), had packet pasta dinner (not good), then went back to room to continue stress of packing. Packing = nightmare, because had no idea what to take. Had to guess our way through it. Made even worse when realised only had only plug and all of our cameras to charge ready for trip and strap on daybag broke (although took this as a sign that shouldn't really be carrying that bag anyway). At this stage, had to get emergency cookies out. Took about 5, but slowly felt a little less stressed. Hat and Deb finished their packing and went off to use internet = perfect for me. Put MP3 player in and had a little sing along to music while packing = stress gone. Spent a whole hour organising myself and having a little sing song, then went off to use internet myself. Stayed on for a while (usual job of catching up on blog) then went to bed. Hat already asleep and just waiting for Debs camera to finish charging. We went off to sleep at 11:30, absolutely shattered and clueless about what to expect on canoe safari tomoroow!


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 29


Advertisement

Quick close up.Quick close up.
Quick close up.

No more now; promise!
A random water dragonA random water dragon
A random water dragon

They just wonder around park.
Favouritist animal of them all.Favouritist animal of them all.
Favouritist animal of them all.

Be prepared for lots of pictures...but they are my favourite.
Come on...you can't not love them.Come on...you can't not love them.
Come on...you can't not love them.

They even pose for the camera
Not so keen on these.Not so keen on these.
Not so keen on these.

But, feel privileged to have only seen them behind glass...touch wood, will leave Oz still being able to say that.
The JumpThe Jump
The Jump

Well....it would be rude not to!
Totally cuteTotally cute
Totally cute

Got to be my second favourite!


Tot: 0.309s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 38; qc: 166; dbt: 0.237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb