Off to see the Wizard...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Atherton Tablelands
June 17th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Cheryl and Eric's GafCheryl and Eric's GafCheryl and Eric's Gaf

init nice mind!!

From Kiwi to Ozzy



So...............after six weeks of mountains, lakes, volcanoes, lots of 'new best friends' & swilling........it was time for AUSTRALIA!! We flew straight to Cairns from Auckland, this would be our final trip with George & Tom - who we have been travelling with (on/off) since Los Angeles.

Cheryl, my second cousin, met us at Cairns Airport at 12am, then we drove over the windey Karanda range into Mareeba (Tablelands), this would be our home for the next three weeks, an' it were proper lush too... Our room decor was mainly Japanese & Chinese Silks and Linens, with many other collectors clothing and artifacts - this definately beats a twelve bed dorm with 'funky' sheets!! Through the kitchen you step out on to a huge Veranda that is built high into the trees, overlooking Cobra Creek!

We spent a few days chilling around the gaf, watching the astonishing wild life (Parrots, black & white Cockatoos, Kukaborras, doves, Frilled neck lizard, etc....), washing clothes for free (yay!)....and relaxing after feeling rather 'partied' out from NZ.

Around the Northern Queensland Tablelands



From Cheryls house we spent a few days driving around the Tablelands to lots of little towns/villages, waterfalls, dams, rivers & lakes!! . There was still plenty of evidence of the destruction caused from Cyclone Larry which ripped right through N.Queensland, lots of the rainforest has been devastated, and will take a while to regain the glorious Flora & Fauna of past!!

The Family



We stayed in Mareeba with Eric and Cheryl, also in Mareeba was Stan & Sue (another second cousin), we spent a few Saturday nights getting swigged in the local Sports Complex playing on poker machines eating Barrumundy!!?!! - they loves it!!

Then we drove up to the famous Uncle Gordons house which is right on Wonga beach (just before Daintree river)...Salt water Crocodiles inhabit the beach, so we had to be careful swimming. Luckily Ally managed to find a few Crocodile tracks in the sand, nice one!! (aaaah!!)... it was here that we met Uncle Gordon Powell (-or- 'King of the Swillers'!) - vastley known throughout Ozz as 'The Mad Pom' ...he certainly lived up to his reputation and was good fun to be around (had me up a tree cutting palm leafs down!!). We also
Milla Milla FallsMilla Milla FallsMilla Milla Falls

init nice mind!!
had a wee bit of swill on an evening!

We also met Sonia and Rhonda (more second cousins) - who were also pretty mental!! We spent a day doing 'off road' driving up in Cape Tribulation in Cheryls new 4x4 - mint!! It was a great drive through World Heritage Rainforest. Rhonda lives right in the Cape Trib Rainforest with a nice bloke called Ed - there place was absolutely teaming with wildlife and crazy Ozzys, half of which were my relations! :o)

It was proper staying with family as we got to see what life is like for the local Ozzys, not just hanging around with (predominantely) British backpackers, half of which are public school benders. We went to little hidden swim holes and creeks that only locals around Cape Trib go to - it was really good and we had great time there!!

Rhonda's Birthday 'Bash'



On Rhondas (45th...shhh!) Birthday Ed, Rhonda, Roy - Ed's son, Ally and I drove 4 hours down the road to Ravenshoe, to stay with Niki & John (Rhondas' daughter, my 3rd cousin)...We stopped off at a few waterfalls, and swam at Innot hot springs - which are around 42degrees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then we stocked up on grog from a local 'Drive-in' Booze Agent and went to Niki's place. Niki is really cool and her daughter Keira is a little cuttie too! The party was good fun, Rhonda passed out, tripped over a bed, fell in to a fridge.....A proper Ozzy 'bash'!!

We had a PROPER time with ALL the Family, so thanks to everyone and love to you ALL!!! XXXX


Our next task: To Find a Camper Van!!



Love to you ALL

Nick & Ally

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Dinner FallsDinner Falls
Dinner Falls

init nice again!!
The Curtain Fig treeThe Curtain Fig tree
The Curtain Fig tree

This whole area was devasted by Cyclone Larry, the Curtain Fig was left standing. It's 500 years old! Check out Ally at the bottom!!
A volcanic Crater!! A volcanic Crater!!
A volcanic Crater!!

Cheryl, Ally and I went from a walk in the local sub-tropical forests!
A view of Wonga beach!A view of Wonga beach!
A view of Wonga beach!

Wonga beach is where Gordon live, surrounded in thick Rainforest!!
A 'locals' swim hole @ Cape TribA 'locals' swim hole @ Cape Trib
A 'locals' swim hole @ Cape Trib

This is where the locals swim at Cape Tribulation, and naked Hairy Hippies!! imagine those pits :o/
Sonia, Rhonda & AllySonia, Rhonda & Ally
Sonia, Rhonda & Ally

...a bit blurred thou!!
Niki and Johns HouseNiki and Johns House
Niki and Johns House

in Ravenshoe!!


Tot: 0.138s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb