My Life in the Real World


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Alexander Headland
November 3rd 2009
Published: November 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

These last few weeks of mine have been spent living the life of a real teacher. I am at school everyday from 8am to 4pm, teaching and writing lesson plans… which doesn’t leave much time for anything else!! I am enjoying my time with the kids, as they are very adorable! In my prep class (kindergarten) we have been studying passports and each week we study a different country. The first week we ‘went’ to Canada and got to make some pumpkin pie in class! Very cute and delicious!

Some interesting things I have noticed that are different from the school’s at home are
- Their accents make it really difficult to correctly spell words (eg Mother is Motha, Saw is Sar)
- They all have to wear hats outside to play- and the no hat, no play policy is very very strict!
- They spend a lot more time outside! The whole school is mostly outside, there are no hallways between classrooms in any school’s here.
- Many schools (not mine though) share one classroom for 2 classes, so you have to coordinate a lot with your other teacher when you do what type of activities!
- They hardly ever enforce the ‘wear shoes in the classroom rule’
- Lots of schools go to the beach regularly for classes
- Surfing, or ‘good surf’ is often an acceptable reason for a student to be late to school
- A bubbler is a drinking fountain, texters- markers, port- backpack, morning tea- recess/snack time
- There is a lot of ‘wildlife’ in our playground, which inhibits playtime! So far we have seen a Goanna (more then once) and a huge poisonous spider. Other animals, which have not been around during my prac, include a family of Kangaroo’s!!!

Aside from teaching everyday, I have still been exploring the local area and attempting to make the most of the weekends! Some highlights include, a big Canadian Thanksgiving dinner (see pictures), attending a music festival in Caloundra, participating in a 4 hour yoga workshop, and of course going to the beach as much as possible!!

In the next few weeks coming up there are some very exciting events happening… The first being that prac is over in less then 2 weeks! This means I get to move out of residence and to the beach!! Following my move, I’m heading off to New Zealand for 2 weeks to start my summer holidays! I will send more updates once my life becomes more eventful. Until then, I hope everyone is healthy and well back home. Would love to hear from you all!




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



3rd November 2009

Kendra , we need your new address, need to send you a little something...ASAP
3rd November 2009

What a great entry! Loved hearing about the school- and who knew about surfing being an OK reason to miss school? Maybe we should allow skiing- or snow play to be a good one for Canadians! Just think- only 1 more week of prac left (almost)! Yippee! They are surfing here in Virginia Beach too- only the water is muddy looking, and temperature not as nice as what you have! Wetsuits are the order of the day for water play here! Expecting to see a pro surfer when we arrive in the new year! Keep on having fun- that's what it is all about! Love Mom
3rd November 2009

Hello!
Hello dahling Kendy! Greetings from Ironwood Cres.!!! Seeing as how your mother deserted us tonight for her big explorations, we are holding the fort and plan on having a very successful practice without her! :) haha Your pictures are making us hungry so we must go eat now! We love you! xoxo *Ginger kisses slurp slurp*
4th November 2009

Wow! were you stuffed?
As usual
Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0574s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb