Boring buses and brilliant boats


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
November 22nd 2014
Published: November 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Back on dry land after a couple of days sailing on "the mighty Boomerang" (so called by her crew). Arrived in Airlie Beach courtesy of a Greyhound bus on Tuesday evening, where some nice Aussie guy gave me a lift to Base Backpackers - saving me a very long walk up a very steep hill!

Checked in and was greeted by a proper fluffy towel. Probably the highlight of the trip so far! Dinner at the down under bar ($10/£5 for a drink and a meal if staying at Base) with a fellow lone traveller while watching karaoke.

Up the next day to check in at the Explore Whitsundays office, and boarded Boomerang at 2pm, meeting the crew: Tommy, Brayden and Holly. Set off and sailed to our first snorkelling destination, where Brayden took us across in the rib "baby Boomerang". Dinner was rice, chicken satay, salad and bread. Anchored for the night and sat on deck chatting until 11ish when I went below to find out how hot it actually was with 28 people in a confined space! Answer: very!

Woke early the next day, cereal for breakfast and off to Whitehaven Beach for a swim and sunbathing. The sand there is silica sand - great for exfoliating but not for cameras etc. Walked up to the Hill Inlet lookout for views across the bay, then back on board for lunch of sausages, pasta, and potato salad before snorkelling twice in the afternoon and seeing a huge maori wrasse.

Had the prescribed 2 minute shower before dinner (spaghetti and garlic bread) and more chat before bed.

Final day dawned with breakfast, beach and snorkelling in the morning before heading back to Airlie Beach. No wind meant no sailing though; it was as still as a lake and we got back around 11am.

The crew were amazing; everything was relaxed but organised and the meals were all good - freshly prepared on the BBQ and stove/oven with biscuits and fresh fruit platters on offer throughout the trip, as well as a drinks fridge where you could buy water and soft drinks.

Checked into Base again and went to my favourite Australian shop Cotton On then to the village cafe for lunch (tapas and chocolate milkshake). In the evening we had a table reserved at down under so some of us met up for dinner (Lisanne, Aurel, me, an English couple, Irish girls and the German guys).

Today was a relaxed start with breakfast, a shower and reading by the pool before checking out. I'm about to go for a wander down the one street of Airlie Beach, get some lunch and go to the lagoon. This evening will be collecting luggage from the hostel, then dinner before catching thr midnight bus for the next leg to Rockhampton.

Advertisement



28th November 2014

Hi
Haven't heard from you for a few days - are you too busy enjoying yourself? Kim
28th November 2014

hi
Was off camping; next update coming tonight or tomorrow :)

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb