Campervan continues...


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
July 6th 2006
Published: July 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

So onwards and upwards on the East coast! And with the travels the sunshine comes out, a welcome relief!We spent a few long days driving to get up to Airlie Beach, the gateway to the WhitSunday Islands. Even the postcards don't do the beauty of the islands justice, we have never seen colours in the sea like it! We took a boat trip round the Whitsundays and got to explore deserted islands, with beautiful white sands and amazing views. We even braved the chillier water (23 degrees but we've become such wusses after the heat of Thailand) to snorkle around the reef, just where the Great Barrie Reef begins. WE were treated to an amazing sight, beautiful colourful coral and some big fish. Even one called Elvis a giant wrasse, about half a metre long, I was really scared but apparently it likes to be petted! Balls with that, my hands stayed away Im sure it would eat your flesh as soon as look at you! It was really amazing to see and there were huge Giant Clams on the ocean floor all blue and purple and ready to snap shut!

Our next stop was up to Townsville a really nice little city but very quiet like lots of places here. We stayed in a campsite here and had a really good laugh with some of the other campers. (though most were staying in state of the art posh caravans the size of buses while we persevered in the van of grossness.) The campsite had loads of possums just running about by your feet as we sat eating our dinner, one with its baby on its back clinging on for dear life! We were in luck with the weather and we had a few days at 25 degrees which was just lovely. We took a ferry to Magnetic Island for the day which is one of the most beautiful places we've been to. Just a small island with bush walks and beautiful beaches. We attempted a bush walk and heard a rustling just near us and there was little kangeroo just hopping about right next to us! Crazy to think they were so close! Apparently there were loads of koalas on the island too but we seemed to miss that!

The rest of the journey passed without too much of an incident we managed to not hit any roos or other animals! With hindsight 4 CDs for 2 weeks was never gonna be enough but its fair to say Kyle and I know every word of Jack Johnsons album and I was tortured by the Chemical Brothers for more hours than was truly necessary! We managed to get the dirty campervan back to Cairns in one piece and have now checked into a lovely clean room, with a big bed and a smell of cleanliness! Bliss! When we get home as well as teabags our beds are on our list of things to be extremely grateful for! As well as all you lot too...of course! Love to you all, we are going to explore Cairns, love Nic and Kyle x x x


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



7th July 2006

Beaches
WoW, just look at that lovely white sand. it looks heavenly. Glad you are having such a super time. Yoly XX

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb