Day 37: Surf school at Agnes Water‏


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Agnes Water
January 15th 2013
Published: January 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Agnes water is a pretty little town just south of the more well-known town of 1770. It's the most northerly point in Queensland where the waves get big enough to surf and is a great place for beginners... So we enrolled in surf school and headed down to the beach with our instructor and class-mates. Surfing is one of those just try and try again until you succeed sports, and after 3 hours most people in the class had managed to stand and ride a wave to the beach. James was pretty good and after a bit of help from the instructor I was up on the board too! I swallowed a good few litres of sea water and got a few knocks and bruises during the class - but had lots of fun doing so. After lunch we got on the road and drove until dark, we reached Rainbow Beach, but as its pretty popular with backpackers, all of the hostels were full. Instead, we stayed in an apartment for the night; twice our 'dorm' budget, but hey we're allowed a break from the bunk beds every once in a while!

Bailey's bit:

The surfing was really good, the instructor was in the water helping rather than shouting from the beach. The waves were also pretty intense with 8-10 foot waves coming in which is a lot better than most of the beaches in the UK!

Daily mileage: 5 had a wander down to the beach and the sand was perfectly firm to run on. Went out for nearly 2 miles and was still nowhere near the other end of the beach!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0903s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb