Road Trip Cairns-Mission beach-Airlie beach-Agnes Water.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Agnes Water
December 10th 2010
Published: December 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok, first things first. Yes, i am alive (only just mind you). No, i have not forgotten about this blog, and i apologise now for spelling mistakes. I have less than an hour to write this and then internet is so expensive!

So the last time i blogged, we were leaving asia Australia bound! We landed in Cairns to some serious heat and with a couple guys we met in pretty much every country in asia we set off for our hostel. Gilligans was the name and if you've ever been to cairns you'll no its pretty crazy there! The nighclub downstairs made for a pretty messy first night and the live band was ace! (Also the pool was pretty lush, didnt seem to get pools in asia... or hot showers) Cairns is a lovely city, the esplanade which is a fake lagoon is a nice way to spend the day, while also thinking how could it be so cold back home yet so damn hot here! we sorted out a camper van on ouor first day, and on the saturday we were given the keys and our oz road trip offially started! just under 3000 km's to go before sydney and i nearly managed to kill myself after an hour!

I will explain...... About an hour outside cairns and we saw a sign which said 'josephine falls', and trust me, we spent a month in asia trying to find a damn waterfall so we weren't letting this chance pass us by. when we arrived, it was truely amazing. the waterfall was split on two levels, both with steep drops into two plunge pools. everybody was swimming in the bottom pool which to anybody else would mean this is the one to swim in. Not to us three, see for some reason we can never do anything normal ,or sensible, or safe. Which can be a bit worrying at times but always seems funnier when we look back on it. Still we went up to the top pool and immediately i didnt want to go in. it didn't look fun at all. when luke first went in it was like watching someone fall into rapids, he was pulled along so fast it was frightening. But he managed to get out, and after we laughed at him for swimming like a girl mike jumped in and somehow swam to the other side through the current. luke second time lucky managed it too, and yes i was reluctant, but lukes chants of 'paging doctor faggot' changed my mind and pretty soon we were all in swimming under a massive waterfall by ourselves, living the dream, yes we are.

Now here's what happened next... The only way back out was back through the stupidly strong current and after watching mike do it, i gave it my best go. Only my best go was'nt good enough, and im a pretty good swimmer! by the look on mikes face i knew i wasn't going to make it and when i turned the realisation hit me that i was about to go over the edge of a waterfall. a damn big waterfall i must add, that i can safely say i wudnt be swimming away from. Somehow, i managed to get three fingers into a little hold on literlly the last rock, and managed to hold myself there while mike tried to figure out how to stop me going over the edge. Somehow, and im really not making this sound worse than it was, because it was the most scary moment of my life, i managed to get around so the current would just puch me against the rock and not take me off the edge, and with the help of mike he managed to help pull me out, while i was shaking like a little girl. it wasn't the most sensible thing to do in hindsight, but makes a good story. And i wont mention what the sign said we noticed afterward....

Back on the road and we headed for a place called mission beach to spend the night. A quiet little campsite with a MASSIVE orb spider in the washing area, that can literally eat birds, and a lovely beach. The thing is, in the morning when we were thinking about a swim, a guy casually walked past us while we were eating our cornflakes and said, and i quote "just in case you guys are thinking of taking a swim (we were) theres been a small crocodile spotted down by the water, probably wouldnt take you, but would scare the sh*t out of you". It did, and we left.


Furhter down the road, and my first shift of driving, and we noticed a big log in the middle of the road in the distance. Nope, it wasnt a log, Yep, it was a snake. A damn big python actually! Our next stop (about 500 km's) was a place called Airlie beach and i have to say it is one of my favourite places we've been since we left england! its where everybody who fancies doing the whitsunday islands has to go, and its a small seadise town, with another amazing fake lagoon that is as warm as bath water, some serious good nightlife (the best live act mike has ever seen he keeps saying) and just a feeling that home is a million miles away. If anyone reading remembers back to the posts from ko Phangan you'll know that luke and i met three guys from sunderland who we ended up going to the full moon with. Now, im not too good at maths but im sure that the chances of walking down airlie beach, not only in a different country, but a different continent, and bumping into them is pretty small. That is exactly what happened, and trust me, we all had a mad night out that night!

on our second day we booked to go out to thw whitsunday islands, which i have to say is one of the best experiences of my life. Unfortunatly my time is just about running out, so i will write about them when i next get on! untill then, il just say that roadtripping Australia with your two best friends, is just amazing. seriously, amazing. plus, we've just all bought surfboards, and we might not be the best, but we're in australia, who cares.

will definitely blog again very soon,
scotty

Advertisement



10th December 2010

wanker
SO all the education and the shit advise payed off then....
12th December 2010

LINKING THE WORLD
Dear Scottywilko Your photo shoot Post is indeed an award winning task mighty enough to entice anybody to undertake intensive travel trips worldwide. With a view to render help and enable adventurous people accomplish their travel safely and comfortably Citymedia foundation (http://citymediafoundation.org) has launched www.city.vi , a network of 68,000 city specific video sites, where you can share videos about cities and regions across the world. like for agnes water videos you can visit http://agnes water.vi . You can also find out about other cities that you are interested . hope to see you there
12th December 2010

hey you 2,( 3 ) just been catching up with yer blogs.. oz sounds amazing and can see from what youve written that your pretty familiar with the local wildlife( spiders, crocs, snakes and KILLER WATERFALLS!!!!!), but glad your safe n well. love the photos and truly beleive im becoming more jealous every day or two, make the very most of it as before you know it you will be homebound... p.s. england are spanking the ossies in the ashes im sure youre aware lol. give my best to mike please. love yer camper van..how cool is that " c ya dudes" love jason n lisa
12th December 2010

LINKING THE WORLD
Dear Scottywilko Your photo shoot Post is indeed an award winning task mighty enough to entice anybody to undertake intensive travel trips worldwide. With a view to render help and enable adventurous people accomplish their travel safely and comfortably Citymedia foundation (http://citymediafoundation.org) has launched www.city.vi , a network of 68,000 city specific video sites, where you can share videos about cities and regions across the world. like for agnes water videos you can visit http://agnes water.vi . You can also find out about other cities that you are interested . hope to see you there
25th February 2011

Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! Thanks. Cairns Backpackers

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb