Uluru - The huge sandstone rock deep in the heart of Australia's Northern Territory


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
August 3rd 2016
Published: August 3rd 2016
Edit Blog Post

After some pondering about where to take my visiting mum and grandma in Australia, I decided on the place that most contrasts Sydney in my mind: Alice Springs.

We flew three hours inland, Northwest from Sydney, into the heart of the Northern Territory. We stopped for the night at the quiet and eerie town of Alice Springs comprising only empty streets and a few shops, most of which were closed due to it being a Sunday.

We arose at six in the morning to start the 464km journey through the geographical centre of Australia to the world heritage site, Uluru (Ayres Rock.) Uluru is the rock's traditional name; Ayres Rock was the name given by European settlers.

As the sun rose, the rusty red glow of the sand glimmered in the sunlight. Heat vapours levitated above the ground all across the rippling sand dunes that stretched as far as the eye could see.

Barren trees, singed from the scorching bush fires and quenched of thirst by the dry heat, stuck out like pins. It was like nothing I had seen before. We passed through six cattle stations, totalling the size of Belgium, and across the border into the Aboriginal land.

We saw a brave cyclist making the epic journey across the desert on a bicycle with only a backpack to aid him.

Looking from the window of our air-conditioned bus, the towering shadow of a rock formed in the distance. Our initial excitement at the sight of Uluru quickly subsided when we realised it was Kata Tjunga, a neighbouring rock. However, our anticipation rapidly increased at the sight of four elegant copper coloured humps that climbed up from the arid land surrounding it. Braving the scorching midday heat we went to explore Kata Tjunga.

The native tribes are settled in the village of Yulara, only a short distance from Uluru and where the Aboriginal centre is built. I purchased some traditionally-coloured hand painted bookmarks symbolising the hunting that would have taken place around the water holes nearby. It was evident from the displays at the centre how much Uluru is considered a sacred place. In particular, the emphasis on not climbing the rock as it disrespects the beliefs of the aborigine people. Uluru remains sacred to several tribes in the area who still use it for rituals and ceremonies.

We walked around a section of the sacred 346m high Uluru rock intently listening to our guide who shared, with us, aborigine myths and spiritual beliefs. Fascinating paintings covered the sandstone surface of the rock, created from a mixture of natural minerals, water and animal fat. Symbols passed down for thousands of generations include circles that represent waterholes, footsteps for hunting and 'U' shapes that represent a person sitting on the floor.

We moved to a different location to view the rock at sunset. Being further away, I was able to appreciate the vastness and peacefulness surrounding this spectacular and culturally significant rock and take in its large 8km circumference. We enjoyed a kangaroo sausage barbecue and watched as the colour of the rock reacted to the changing oranges of the setting sun. As darkness fell, the glow of the moon and the shine of the stars meant it was time to start the 5 hour drive back to Alice Springs.



https://www.claritycounsellingnorthernbeaches.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement




Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0251s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb