Day 10 Judbarra/Gregory National Park


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
July 4th 2013
Published: July 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Gunbunbu Waterhole to Timber Creek

Awake at first light, knowing we had another 45kms of the Humbert Track to go, not relishing the thought of more dust etc. After backtracking and connecting with the main track we were on our way. All too soon it became apparent that it was not going to be a fast trip. Faced the first of many steep dry creek crossings, having to manouvere both vehicle and car across rockshelves and up and down sandy river beds that were not meant to be driven on. Must say driver, car and trailer all handled very well. At each crossing we stopped the car and walked across working out the best route to take and marking same with small rocks, this paid off and the Toyota amazed us with the way it handled the crossings.

Saw some amazing Boab trees today. Facts about the Boab you might not know can range from 5 to 15 meters, usually between 9 and 12 metres, with a broad bottle-shaped trunk. Its trunk base may be extremely large; trunks with a diameter of over five metres have been recorded. Baob is deciduous, losing its leaves during the dry winter period and producing new leaves and large white flowers between December and May The white pulpy inside of the Boab seed pod is a rich source of vitamin C and quinine. I have been told some can be 3,000 years. If only they could talk.

It eventually took us about 4 hours to complete the 45kms to the old Bullita Homestead site. We had planned to camp here for the night but access to the East Baines River was very limited and campsite dusty so decided to press on after checking out the old homestead. I am totally in awe of those pioneer women who could live in such total isolation. Some of the stories at the homestead described a great flood, the men were away and Mrs Schultz spent two days clinging to a tree up to her neck in water before it started to recede. Another was when one of the men was kicked in the head by a steer and someone rode 80kms in 15 hrs on horseback to get help.

Another 50kms of dusty road finds us in Timber Creek for the night. Camped at the Wirib Tourist Park at Timber Creek, on a very nice grassy site, no dust and I’m very happy. Today is Northern Territory Day and it is the only day of the year you can buy and let off fireworks, we watched a great display in the adjacent park.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Boab Trees Boab Trees
Boab Trees

The old one at back has been hit by lightning but still hanging on.


5th July 2013

Great Adventure
What a great adventure you are having. Really enjoying reading all about it.
6th July 2013

You are going some of the places we were at last year. Others you have been we would like to see. Glad your car & trailer are going well. That red dust sure gets into everything doesn\'t it. Safe travels, love Raine & Dave

Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0224s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb