Boodjamulla to KFC!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
July 5th 2012
Published: August 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 28th June

No, we were not hightailing it towards some of the Colonel's secret recipe, as nice as some of that would be right now, but heading along the back tracks toward Kingfisher Camp on the Nicholson River. It was only 113km’s today but that distance took us just over 3.5 hours to complete, much of it traversed both Lawn Hill and Bowthorn Stations and Jen got her exercise jumping in and out opening gates along the track route. The highlight of the trip was undoubtedly the first creek crossing, not long into the journey and inside the bounds of Lawn Hill Station.



The crossing was a good 75 metres long with a couple of turns along it to avoid the deeper sections of the creek. We arrived, got out to purvey, then sent Jen and Zan across to check out the depth and how firm the bottom was. Just as they got to the other side a station vehicle arrived and plowed straight across, showing us the route and depth, so with little ado we followed after them and arrived safely on the other side.



One of the wonders of traveling the outback, is the almost constant and sometimes imperceptible changes in the landscape that occur. The track will change from rock to sand to gravel and stands of various vegetation will appear in a certain vicinity then disappear just as quickly. Today we saw, along a relatively short section of track, the most beautiful orange coloured bottle brush like flowers on a tree of some description, (photo included perhaps someone can tell us what the tree is?). In yet another section the landscape was a sea of yellow wattle and we were entertained by large flocks of galah, budgerigar and finch, today we also saw our first flock of red faced black cockatoos. I think now that the only cockatoo we haven’t seen on our journey is the elusive Palm Cockatoo and seeing as this exists only on Cape York we are unlikely to see one from this point on.



Agile wallabies aplenty and the odd kangaroo rounded out the wildlife on this short trip and of course there were the hundreds of cattle, we even got stuck behind some jackaroos from Bowthorn Station droving a huge herd of cattle to the yards for a couple of kilometres. All in all it was a beautiful trip, KFC is a lovely little camp spot with green grass and shady white gums on the bank of the Nicholson River, though it is not flowing it still can be traversed by boat for about 5kms, there are a few fresh water crocs along it but we are still pretty bushed from our time at Lawn Hill and didn’t get the boat out at this spot. Tomorrow we head for Hell’s Gates and a crossing the border ceremony as we finally leave Queensland and enter the Northern Territory!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb