DAY 39 HERMANNSBURG-PALM VALLEY


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
July 18th 2022
Published: July 20th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Taking the track into Palm Valley (again) we came across a dingo who then followed us for the next 5km. We had seen a dingo pup run across in front of us about 30m ahead and disappeared into the scrub. Moments later the adult dingo appeared and not seeing the pup began following us. We moved at about 5kph. When we stopped, the dingo stopped. We moved, the dingo moved. It became more confident and moved up alongside us, us on the track, the dingo a few metres in the low scrub. We took a few photos of it and enjoyed what was taking place. We stopped for 5 minutes, the dingo rested under a tree until we moved again. This all ceased when another vehicle exiting the National Park passed us.

Upon reaching the campsite we quickly set up camp and departed for Palm Valley. The narrow 4km track to the beginning of the 2 walk trails was very, very rough indeed. Apart from a few 20m sections of sand, most of the track was over large boulders, rocks of varying sizes, huge dips and cut outs of rock requiring stoppage, find the line of travel and progress at walking speed if not slower. Protecting the underside of the Prado and the walls of the tyres was the priority. The red valley walls alongside the Finke River (valley) rose beside us to heights of 60 or more metres. We were to climb them.

We walked (hiked/climbed/crawled/slid) the 5km Mpulungkinya (mool-ung-kin-yah) Trail which took us 2.5hrs. It began with the climbing of one of the valley walls to the arid sandstone plateau above the palms and rewarded us with awesome views of the ancient Central Australian desert landscape. We made our way cautiously down the far side of the valley where the Red Cabbage Palm groves grew in thick clumps. Palm Valley is a maze of sandstone amphitheatres, pinnacles and gorges. The main gorge features high red cliffs, stately river red gums and several cool waterholes. We saw a variety of aquatic life such as minute desert fish. Tadpoles and frogs flourish in these cool, moist areas too. I loved the red ruggedness and majesty of the valley walls.

The return drive was the same as the drive in, slow, cautious and careful. The expert 4wd skills came to the fore!! We were both quite tired. A lukewarm, bordering on cold shower at the camp ablutions and clean clothes, a refreshing drink and our energy was restored. A very tasty dinner prepared in no time by Jane, ended another awesome day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement








Tot: 0.268s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb