Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
May 6th 2022
Published: May 6th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Darwin

We flew from Brisbane to Darwin to spend a couple of days preparing our bikes & picking up Keith’s new bike. This has been good acclimatisation to the heat (so far over 30 each day - plenty of cooling dips in our hotel pool.)



Checking all our gear that we had left here with our bikes nearly 3 years ago, has been successful with nothing missing. "The Scooter Shop" where we had stored them had serviced & carried out minor repairs and had a huge storage bill for us. However Darren, the owner gave us a very substantial discount on all of this so all parties were happy or at least only slightly unhappy. We ended up with a couple of boxes of doubled up parts & riding gear being couriered home via Whites Powersports in Melbourne.

Friday was a free day so Ian & Brenton rode to Florence Falls a famous tourist spot (145kms each way) & Keith & I visited the Military Museum at East Point. (Ian & Keith had done the Museum 3 years ago)

The Museum is well worth a visit. Lots of information and exhibits including a graphic film detailing the Japanese attacks on Darwin in February 1942. 250 people were killed – mainly civilians as they bombed indiscriminately, ships in the harbour, the wharves & the whole town. They also attacked Broome a month later killing 88 there. The museum covered 1st & 2nd world wars & the defences that were installed at the site at the commencement of WW11. This included a 9” gun which had an 11km range. Unfortunately it was never used in conflict as the attacks came from the air not from the sea that the gun was designed for . The Vietnam conflict was also well covered.

If you’re into history it’s definitely well worth a visit.



Tomorrow we leave Darwin and head to Coroboree Lagoon, only 88kms, for a cruise on the wetlands where we are told we will see plenty of wildlife including some big crocs. Good information for our river crossings!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



6th May 2022

Update
Great news thank you Be careful

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb