Mataranka to Darwin


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
July 19th 2019
Published: July 22nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Mataranka to Darwin


Mataranka to Darwin



We travelled to Katherine and made it up to Buruwei Lookout in Nitmiluk National Park, which gave beautiful views of Nitmiluk Gorge. After a hot walk back to the car, we decided on staying at Edith River camp for the night and tested the cool waters of Edith River falls which felt freezing compared to the warm springs at Mataranka.

Continuing north, we ventured into Kakadu National Park, leaving the caravan at Kambolgie Campground and headed to Gunlom where we did a 1km walk up the mountain to enjoy a beautiful rock pool that overlooked Kakadu. After making it back to the bottom of the mountain, we did a further 200m walk to the bottom of the falls which was an open swimming area.

The road from Kambolgie Campground back to Kakadu Highway was very corrugated, with the screws keeping the caravan oven fixed in its cavity coming loose, and the internal glass of the oven shattering. We had a big clean-up at Malabanjbanjdju camp site and planned the following day.

Early in the morning we joined the park ranger at Burrungkuy where she led us to Nawurlandja Lookout, and explained the significance of some amazing rock art.

We returned to the caravan, where we headed for Merl campground which seemed largely infested by thousands of mosquitos. Not far away, we visited Ubirr to view some more indigenous rock art, and watched the sun set over the wetlands from Nadab Lookout.

Darwin was a few hours drive away, so we left early the next morning to do the boring things like wash the car, caravan and get a few groceries from the supermarket.

Our first night in Darwin we spent with friends Tom and Angus before spending 4 nights at Big4 Howard Springs caravan park with power, yay!

The girls have loved the pool, jumping pillow and splash park - we have also spent a lot of time exploring Darwin, visiting Crocodylus Park which was a great little zoo with lions, a tiger, monkeys, meerkats and plenty of huge crocodiles. We visited parap markets where we ate Laksa and a nutella crepe, so yummy!

The food and sunset at Darwin Trailer Boat club was sensational, as we managed to have dinner with Tom & Angus, and enjoyed more social catch ups with Linzi (one of Sheree's old work colleagues) for happy hour this afternoon.

It will be hard to leave the beautiful weather up here and head west, but we can't wait to reach beaches free of crocodiles!


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



23rd July 2019

Thanks!
Really enjoying the blog. Loving the great photos & descriptions of your activities. So disappointed we are not enjoying this with you but just not meant to be this trip.

Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb