Australia - Cairns, Ayers Rock & Darwin!!!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory
November 7th 2006
Published: November 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The Best View!!!!The Best View!!!!The Best View!!!!

You get lots of stunning views but my favourite to really get a feel for the size was this one which was taken just before sunset....
As i write this I’m staying in a beautiful village town called Ubud situated in the middle of the island of Bali in Indonesia.. And with that I’ve kind of figured out what this traveling this is all about for me… Its about being “Enchanted”, enchanted by my surroundings by the people, their culture, their smiles, motivations, religion and by the bazaar… And as I looked over my trip through the Northern Australia I would simply be cataloguing the events!!!! I want to be expressing experiences!! You all know how hot it gets, what a westernized nightclub is like, how a city works, what its like by a swimming pool.. Don’t get me wrong its nice to hit civilization now and then, but only as a backdrop to recent adventure…. “And A Reality Check”..

So I won’t bore you with done this done that, went here then there as my mind is already busy writing my next wonderful enchanting tale of Indonesia….

I’ll let the pictures tell this story….

Hope You’re All Well & Happy!!!

Oooooo!! And a big “Happy Birthday” To my wonderful sister Bee who turned 21 this weekend!!!! And Terry who’s birthday it also
Ayers Rock Climb!!Ayers Rock Climb!!Ayers Rock Climb!!

I tried on two occasions to climb this thing!! firstly stopped due to heat (no climb if over 36oC) and then as you can see from the dull and cloudy weather due to rain?????
is!!! He’s ?? (put it this way if your making him a cake you’d need 4 packs of candels..lol)….






Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Play It Again Dinky!!!Play It Again Dinky!!!
Play It Again Dinky!!!

Talking Of Bizaar!!! We had make an unpropt stop due to a broken wiper.. Now me and my Korean friend Su went into the back and she played a number on the piano only to be joined by the resident Singing Dingo "Dinky!!!", it turns out this dog is famous in Oz and has even appeared at the Opera house, an artical in the National Giagriphic and has a question about him in the 20th year addition of Trivial Pursuit!!!! Now Thats Bizaar!!!
Rock Art...Rock Art...
Rock Art...

Sorry guys not the best picture!! infact very surprised any of these came out ok as i dropped my camera and broke the screen!!! meaning i had no idea untill i found a PC how they came out!!!! Not even a little view finder!!! Just point and click!!!!!
Ayres Rock From Above...Ayres Rock From Above...
Ayres Rock From Above...

Was Lucky Enough To Have The View On My Side During Landing... Really Great To Fly In And See It Like That...
Cairns...Cairns...
Cairns...

Without a city beach everyone gathers around the manmade Lagoon soaking up the daytime sun with a good book and a cold drink... The 3 nights i spent here were just party party party!!! spent far too much money but great fun!!! my hostel had 500 residents!!!!
The Heart Of The Rock...The Heart Of The Rock...
The Heart Of The Rock...

Wow how beautiful... A heart of stone... or of no stone??.. The heat here is incredible!!! never felt anything like it!!! 42oC+ and a hot wind to match!!!!!
Stunning In The Bright Sunshine!!Stunning In The Bright Sunshine!!
Stunning In The Bright Sunshine!!

With the lush green surrounding trees and vegitation against the red earth the rock looked truly stunning at times...
Ayers Rock...Ayers Rock...
Ayers Rock...

The biggest factor of errosion is the wind!! but the rock is actually getting bigger!!! as 2 3rds are under the suface and that is being blown away quicker than the rock itselve...
The Local People!!!The Local People!!!
The Local People!!!

Check out the Oborigional Face in the rock!!! Didn't meet many authentic locals, just the ones in the towns that tended to hang around like drunks in gangs.. Never a smile and lots of obvious resentment to whats happened to there land.. So no pictures sorry...
The Barrier Reef...The Barrier Reef...
The Barrier Reef...

More To Look At Under The Surface!!!! I did a 1 hour introductory scuba dive then spent the rest of the afternoon snorkling.. Very beautiful even saw a little Nemo...Aaarrrhhhh...
Under The Surface!!!Under The Surface!!!
Under The Surface!!!

The rock is made up of a high concentrate of Iron Ore, the red rust colour is simply that "Rust".. If a section fall away then the underside is revealed as a white limestone effect but after a couple of years of showers soon turns to that outback red...
The Rain Did Fall!!!!The Rain Did Fall!!!!
The Rain Did Fall!!!!

As the sign said the storms did eventualy fall!! Which left lovely cascading water trails down the rock in the early morning base treck i did...
Barrier Reef...Barrier Reef...
Barrier Reef...

Was About 6 Different Dive Groups, Some Doing There Open Water And Other Just A One Day Thing..
The Road Is Long, And Never A Winding Turn!!!The Road Is Long, And Never A Winding Turn!!!
The Road Is Long, And Never A Winding Turn!!!

Broke up the 22 hour bus journey from Alice Spings to Darwin with an overnight stay in Katherine.. Now this place is just full of people working the Mango season... Oh My God!!!! the travelers are getting $350 a day!!! (about 160 quid!!!)... And the season is roughley 3 solid months!!!!.. But the trouble in paradise comes in the form of Mango Rash!!! the storks that we never see produced a skin burning acid that can leave scars on both your face and arms??? UUuurrgghhh!!!
Rock Caves..Rock Caves..
Rock Caves..

Many caves are formed by rocks simply falling away and littering the base floor.. some of the larger caves were home to drawings and impressions made by the local poeple at times of cerimony...
Stop Look And Listen!!!Stop Look And Listen!!!
Stop Look And Listen!!!

Cause this guy ain't slowing down!!!! huge huge trucks trunking up and down the highway... Doe's he get to eat 3 Yorkies???


14th March 2011
Rock Art...

Ha just interested in where this is at the rock I did not see them. Cheers Andrew

Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 16; qc: 92; dbt: 0.218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb