The Red Centre


Advertisement
Published: February 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Silverton PubSilverton PubSilverton Pub

Mad Max's car out front!
We left the coast and headed inland, probably won't see it again till we get to Broome. Jake needed to catch the train from Tamworth to Melbourne so we headed for the hills. We camped the night at a farm stay hostel out of Moonbi, amazing scenery. We put Jake on the train the next day, boohoo! and went to the wax museumand the golden Guitar.
We camped out bush just out of Nyngan, this is the only town we have travelled through twice on our trip.
We were inundated by ants here and the pup was not to impressed by this. Next day we were up and out of there early. Arrived at Silverton, 25kms from Broken Hill. It was really hot weather, so the pub was the place to be. Silverton is a Ghost town now with great old derelict buildings, and some great art work.
lots of Aussie movies have been filmed here.
We spent a day looking at art in Broken Hill and had a great spider at Bell's the 1950's cafe.

Onto the Flinders Ranges where we camped in Parachilna Gorge which would have been lovely if it wasn't for all the BLOODY FLIES! Couldn't
Flinders RangesFlinders RangesFlinders Ranges

Oh! I am having such a great time!
eat until it was dark and very difficult to drink rum through fly nets.
Jessie was having a lovely time with her family!
Happy to leave the flies we headed north, past Lake Eyre and stopped for lunch at Coward Springs. this was as old Ghan Railway siding. The spring has been made into a small bubbling pool, very refreshing in this heat.
For afternoon tea we stopped at the famous William Creek pub for a beer. William Creek has a population of 3.
Finally arrived in Coober Pedy. Most of the town is still underground and all the mines are right under the town. As most of the population here are greek, we went to a greek restaurant for dinner. Which was very good!
We spent the next morning in an opal mine, the kids noodled but no luck.

We are now caretaking Hamilton Downs Youth Camp, 75 kms out of Alice Springs in the West McDonnell Ranges. It is very speccy scenery and the buildings here are the original homestead from 1909.
Jessie has left us now and flown back to Melbourne, miss her already.
Clancy and Kassidy are doing Alice Springs SOTA.
We have quite a
Coward springsCoward springsCoward springs

Ahh, very refreshing.
few different groups of people booked in here over the next few months, which will keep us busy. In the meantime I have been doing a lot of artwork and bush walking.
Kris is kept busy training and wearing his pup out!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sisterly LoveSisterly Love
Sisterly Love

The 3 stooges!
Havin a Rum!Havin a Rum!
Havin a Rum!

Where theres a will theres a way!
West McDonnell RangesWest McDonnell Ranges
West McDonnell Ranges

The view from our verandah!


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0627s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb