The Olgas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
September 21st 2012
Published: September 24th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Close encounters.Close encounters.Close encounters.

In the carpark of an Olga viewing area we discovered Top-Knot pigeons liked to greet the visitors.
It was another hot NT day when we decided to tackle the Olgas. They are in the same national park as Uluru, about 50 km away. The experience is quite different as you walk amongst them, rather than around a single monolith. Their texture is also different as they are composed of conglomerate rather than pure sandstone.

The valley of winds walk was true to name as the monoliths funnelled the winds and we had to hang onto our hats or lose them.

As we progressed further we were lucky enough to see a Perentile (Goanna) up very close. It was not camera shy so we had ample time to take some photos. We also saw multiple flocks of Zebra finches.

Back in camp we read the manuals and successfully used the washing machine in the caravan for the first time. An essential activity as our soiled clothing collection was growing. We are unsure when we will have another opportunity.

We ventured into the supermarket to top up supplies and discovered the outrageous prices that we had been warned about. But this did result in a roast chicken dinner, on the baby Q, at a reasonable price.

In the evening we heard the sad news that Angela (Greg’s sister) had unexpectedly lost her beloved cat Cobi. RIP Cobi.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lunch in a trail shelter.Lunch in a trail shelter.
Lunch in a trail shelter.

No flies on Joan but can’t say the same for Greg


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb