The road to Uluru


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
September 19th 2012
Published: September 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The first day of our journey we departed at 9:30, the second day it was 8:30 and on the third it was 7:30. This was obviously not a trend that could be maintained. Joan was pleased to note that we departed at 8:15 today.

Today we discovered what a difference a tail wind can make when pulling a caravan. We recorded a 14l/100 Km difference in fuel consumption between and head or a tail wind. Sadly we left the tail wind as we turned west toward Uluru and suddenly we were back to a head wind. When we filled at Yalara resort (at Uluru) we passed the $2 per litre mark, paying $2.11 per litre! Ouch.

It was a day of adventures. One Wedge Tail Eagle, out of a group of three feeding on road kill, was too slow to lift and became our first road kill victim. However it got its revenge despite the bull-bar taking most of the impact, one less spotlight.

During our lunch break the Neverfail water container failed when Greg pulled the cap off, resulting in a gush all over the floor. Our van has now been christened.

We then drove through an area blackened by either bushfire or a very big controlled burn. The strong winds picked up the ash and exposed sand, creating a dust storm. At one stage it was so thick we felt the need to turn our headlights on.

Finally we were at the Rock and settled into a camp spot, in time for the obligatory sunset viewing of Uluru.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



20th September 2012

Hey Blossom!
Great photos especially the flora. Your van looks wonderful. Very posh.Hope you are having the time of your life

Tot: 0.176s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0963s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb