Ayers Rockin Right Through To Alice Springs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
May 26th 2008
Published: February 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

So after my wicked day at the beach etc and time with naj,tammy and matt, i headed back to the hostel and washed and dryed some clothes and grabbed some water and had the most boring dinner ever and watched some scrubs and south park.

I went to the room to catch some sleep as i had a n airport shuttle pick up of 7.45am and the dorm is in two halfs and my half were some americans and we all wanted to grab some kip and the rest of the folk in the hostel decided to have a party in the dorm which was not appreciated and did not help me sleep, the bus was in time in the morning and i got the airport checked in and gave my weekly transport pass to a qantas girl as the was a day to go and was trying for some good karma.

The plane was late by ten mins but got into ayers rock early?, on the flight they did not have a veggie meal and to there credit they ruslled up something for me and i finished one of my books and so handed it to onje of the cabin crew trying to build up my karma...lol, was able to see ayers rock from the air which was cool, when i landed i was greeted by the tour guide beej who was cool and i got my gear of the carousel and got on the bus and met the other folk who had joined at alice springs. I was sat near this cool candian guy jules and harry an english guy and in front was ollie and his german girlfriend, we headed for our first campsite and dropped off some wood and then we picked up a french coup[le from the pioneer resort in ayers rock were i will stay wehn i come back to ayers rock and then we headed to the aboriginal cultural centre at ayers rock.

I was looking round the centre and then noticed my group was gone and headed out and my bus was gone, not a good start.....lol, so i got a lift with another guide from another group and caught up with beej so all that ends well, the aborignals ask you do not vlimb the rock, but dont stop you and so i climbed it with others from the group and the was amazing views.

After that we headed to the camp and we all helped to make dinner and we had our first night in swags which was cool and grabbed a shower as the wouldnt be chance again till alice. next morning was a 5.15am start and we headed to ayers rock for sunrise as we had done sunset the night before.

Sunrise was cool more amazing skies and the group was really cool aswell, we then headed off to the olgas and did a 7km walk while beej explained about the area and the plants etc and again it was an amazing site and we all took lots of piccys and had a good laugh, breakkie had been good and then we had lunch at the olgas which was wraps and it was great as everyone again all mucked in. We then headed for our camp that night which was out in the bush and we all excited and a little nervous with all the bush wildlife out there. We parked up after a two hour drive and me and the lads did our hunter gathering bit and went and collected wood and i manged to get a splinter in my leg which i still havent been able to shift.

We had pasta and the meat eaters had kangeroo and we all had some beers as per the other night as we had chipped in and bought some beers, we sat by the fire chilling and telling jokes etc and dave an english guy in his 50's who was with us gave me a can of jim bean and coke, cant get these cans in the uk...dohh.

Then beej got his guitar out and played some tunes and eventually we all turned in and it was not as cold at night as you would expect and no one got eaten or bitten...lol and we were up at 5am and drove to kings canyon and had breakkie there and then went for a nice rim walk and past the eden valley and had some fruit cake on the way, the olgas walk is closed in summer so the are some good reasons for going in winter....lol, beej explained more about the plants etc and then we took some group piccys and got back to the bus and headed to alice and a few hours later we stopped for a kick about and lunch and then on to alice and we stopped at a camel farm and then eventually got to alice over 457 kms away and had some group piccys at the alice springs welcome sign and then we drove into alice and everyone was dropped off at respective hostels and we arranged to meet for a drink and meal at toddys at 8pm that night.

My hostel was miles away, but it was nice enough and the was a canadian guy in my room who i chatted to and he gave me some beers which was cool, i then walked over to toddys, ohh by the way alice springs has a river which 99.9 percent of the years is dry and it was when i was there, we all met up and chatted and eat and drank and swapped email addys and then some of us headed back to our hostels as we had early starts, like jules the canadian guy who had three flights to get home.

Next morning i awaoke at 5.20am and grabbed breakie and gone 6am emu tours picked me up and on the bus was dave from the tour 3 day tour so we hung out on the bus and when we got to ayers rock i had not been asked to pay and i realised this as i got to my accomodation, oh well more in my pocket. Dave was camping at ayers rock and i was staying at the pioneer outback hostel and lodge, 34 dollars a night and well it wasnt worth it and had to wait over 2 hours to get in the dorm.

Met some other travelers at the pioneer and so i had a few beers and grabbed abite to eat and slept really and nothing much else done.

Advertisement