Uluru (Ayers Rock)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
June 13th 2007
Published: June 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

During my short flight I caught sight of Uluru (Ayers Rock) and the Kata Tjuta (The Olgas). After I landed I bought some lunch and waited to be picked up by my tour company. After paying my national park fees we headed out to Kata Tjuta, where 26 dome rocks rise out of the flat desert terrain. The tallest peak, Mt Olga, rises 203m higher than Uluru. The site is very important spiritually to the Anangu people, the indigenous people in this area.

After parking up at a few different vantage points and taking a short walk around The Olgas it is clear why this site is visited by so many people. As the light begins to fade we drive back to Uluru in time for sunset. The vantage point is so that the sun is not visible while looking at Ayers Rock, so that you can see the colour change during sunset. Although this change is gradual, it's possible to notice it if you look away for a couple of minutes and then look back. As soon as the sun completely sets the rock changes quite noticeably in colour.

It begins to get cold very quickly (And it was already cold before sunset, it is the winter here!) and we head back to our campsite. It turns out that I'm allowed to sleep in a tent provided for me, but instead I choose to sleep outside under the stars in a traditional swag bag (a canvas bag, similar to a sleeping bag). It's freezing overnight, and as the fire dies down it gets even colder. However, the stars are simply breathtaking and this makes up for the temperature.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Uluru (Ayers Rock)Uluru (Ayers Rock)
Uluru (Ayers Rock)

Notice the colour change as the light fades
Me in a swag bagMe in a swag bag
Me in a swag bag

Sleeping under the stars


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb