Two meet up and go walk about.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
August 14th 2005
Published: August 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Gill - Queen of the desert!!Gill - Queen of the desert!!Gill - Queen of the desert!!

Kings Canyon - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert was filmed here - watch and see if you can work out who Gill is impersonating....
After a temporary seperation, we met up again in Alice Springs, which was a bit bizarre. Loads of chat to catch up with!!! We were collected from our rather shabby hostel at 6 the next morning (we had got up too early because of the strange half hour time differance that exists in the middle of Australia) and we were loaded onto a mini bus with about 20 other people. Including a couple from Edinburgh, Amanda and James and a Candian girl called Brooke. There was a trainee guide going out at the same time as us, so we were actually a very happy band of around 30. Our first stop was to ride a camel, as you do.... Apparently, there is a large number of wild camels roaming around in the outback of Australia.

We were then off to complete a hike through Kings Canyon, which initially entailed a vertical (I am not joking) climb up Heartattack Hill, after a few stops to admire the scenery - it wasn't because I couldn't breathe - we reached the top and were entertained by our guide Chris and his vast knowledge of geology and the legends that sorround this area. The
Is this how we're travelling to Uluru?Is this how we're travelling to Uluru?Is this how we're travelling to Uluru?

Apparently his name is Killer.
walk continued around the rim of the canyon and then down into 'The Garden of Eden', a watering hole, which we could swim in if we wanted to - we didn't!!! We stopped for the night near (well, within viewing distance) of Mount Connor and set up camp - collecting firewood, preparing dinner, setting up the swag bags - after a delicious dinner prepared by our guides we weren't long in going to bed - afterall there isn't much to do in the middle of the desert once the sun goes down. Sleeping in swag bags was an interesting experience, as it was winter we went to bed fully clothed, inside a sleeping bag liner, then a sleeping bag and then inside the swag (which is a large canvas bag with a matress inside), it was practically impossible to move inside everything, but it did keep us warm.

Early the next morning, after a camp breakfast we set off for the national park. We headed for the Olgas first to walk through the Valley of the Winds - whoever named the walk has obviously never tried walking down the Royal Mile on a windy day - because there wasn't a drop of air. However, it was really beautiful. A a brief stop at the cultural centre, we were taken on the mala walk, a short tour at the base of Uluru, encompassing a number of aboriginal legends and rock art. We then hightailed it, to the viewing point to watch sunset over the rock, along with 500 other people!! As we had opted for the budget tour, we didn't have the champagne or linen table cloths provided by other groups, however, cans of lager and the ground worked just as well and didn't cost as much. Our second night camp was like scout camp - games round the campfire before retiring to our swags. Up in time for sunrise over Uluru and turning the other way the Olgas. Pretty amazing (and a bit chilly). We had the option of climbing up Uluru, or walking around the base. Several of the group did the climb, but we opted for the one and half hour base walk.

Most people fell asleep on the journey the back to Alice Springs, peaceful. After 3 days of no shower (and no toilet!!) I never thought that I would be clean again, but I was and we headed down to the bar in Annies Place for a few beers and dinner with the group. Never one to turn down a freebie, we drank sufficient amounts to get so free headgear - everyone will be wearing them this winter!!!

Anyone considering doing a similar trip we recommend staying at Annie's Place and booking the tour with Mulgas (they are in the same place). Excellent value for money and a really good time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Cosy in swags for the nightCosy in swags for the night
Cosy in swags for the night

First night sleeping rough in the outback - remarkably warm considering it was zero degrees!!
"No evidence" said the tour guide!!"No evidence" said the tour guide!!
"No evidence" said the tour guide!!

Mid way through the battle of the outback tours buses.
Jocks at the RockJocks at the Rock
Jocks at the Rock

Us with Amanda and James from Edinburgh
Half of our tour groupHalf of our tour group
Half of our tour group

The other half were busy....
Anyone for a beer?Anyone for a beer?
Anyone for a beer?

Some people would do anything for a free hat!!
See what I mean!!See what I mean!!
See what I mean!!

Gill and Brooke wearing the latest in outback headwear!!


Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0554s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb