Rockin it


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
August 27th 2004
Published: August 27th 2004
Edit Blog Post

After passing the Breakaways Rach, the two Irish John's, and Uver (he;'s german) and i switched busses and headed to Uluru.
We camped in swags, think an candy wrapper made of canvass that you put your sleepig bag in and become a cocoon to avoid the frigid desert nights. At 5 am we got up to see Sunrise then hike uluru. Only Rachel and 2 japanese girls from our bus violated the wishes of the native owners to not climb uluru. So they when up, while the rest of us went around the base. Uluru is huge (which is why it is famous) and all red sandstone. The stone looks so different in the light and from angles. At points it almost looks like cloth, it has that drapery look to it. It is so beautiful. A park ranger who is actually from one of the groups that traditionally own Uluru took us around and taught us the history of the Marla people, about bush foods (i almost ate a grub) and the rock art. Such a fantastic experience!
The next day we hiked the OlgasĀ  ( i cant spell the aborigonal word), which are the conglomerate relatives of uluru. It was an really peaceful fun hike!
Next up, Kings Canyon. By then Greg (aka Fun Bobby, Capt Kangaroo) our guide was a getting bit old, but we had fun making fun of him. We hiked the Canyon for sunrise, (our 3rd sunrise in a row) which was actually really cool. The hike was fun, along the ridge of the canyon (i didn't fall in!), and into the canyon a bit too. A good ending for the trip. From there we headed back to Alice Springs, and visited Dinky the singing Dingo. If you've never seen a dog stand on a paino and howl in time with the music then... well, you might get a trivial pursuit question wrong (Dinky is the answer to a trivial pursuit question).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0632s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1014kb