Travel Blog 7 to 13 July(Alice Springs-Uluru-Renner Springs)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Mataranka
July 14th 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Problem last evening-no internet reception so this is a day late.What a great week we have had.Been down to Ayers Rock/Uluru and back to pick up our (serviced) caravan from Alice Springs and headed north to Mataranka which is near Katherine-we are less than 500kms from Darwin and it is warming up-up to 30 degrees today.The 5 days camping around Uluru were memorable for many reasons,not the least being that while at Yulara resort campground(20km from Uluru) the night temp. was 1 degree each of the 3 nights.We were very brave in our not very thick sleeping bags.The days were 20 degrees and lovely but those nights!We can well understand the reasons why Uluru is such a sacred and special place for the Aboriginals.We felt its mystique also.Couple of photos-one the famous sunset view(we watched the sun set on 2 nights at "the Rock").We walked around it(9.4km) but chose not to climb it-the Aboriginals ask that people don't but it is permissible.The next day we walked the "Valley of the Winds" track at the Olgas-50 kms from Yulara.That was very scenic as was Kings Canyon rim walk 2 days later.All told we covered 1400kms in the 5 days.Since then we have had some solid driving north towards Darwin-400 to 500 kms each day.Tomorrow we go to a National Park near Katherine for some walking and then on to the Litchfield NP near Darwin.At the end of the week we catch up with Graham & Di in Darwin.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb