Litchfield NP, OH what a day!


Advertisement
Published: July 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Last morning in the outback!!!!!!

It has been such a wonderful time!

But the best is yet to come, Litchfield is a much smaller national park but it is the most glorious for someone like me who loves the water.

We vist Florence Falls this morning and only the guide Craig and myself and 3 of the kids hit the water. It is fantastic, pristine water hole carved in the stone by the river and the water falls cascading down on top of you. It's hard to swim to the waterfall because of the strong current but it can be done. We have to leave as the larger tour bus has arrived and the people are swarming all over the place. The 6 AM rise gave us first shot at the water hole in the relative calm of the morning. AHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The next water hole is Wangi Falls and this has a very large pool that steps have been built into it. However, it is never open as the currents underthe waterfall are very dangerous and people have drowned. Plus with the large amounts of rain the fresh water crocs have invaded the pool. There is a nice mountain rainforest area to hike up and over the water hole. They have the biggest bats that I have ever seen. The flying fox, a fruit bat has a wing span of about 2 feet. There are hundreds of them hanging from the treetops and screeching the awful noise. You have to walk under them and I hurry so that I don't get any bat droppings on me!!

The top of the area gives you a great view of the surrounding area and the lush rainforest below.

The 3rd and last waterhole is so cool. It is called the Bluey RockHoles. It's the river running through a series of smaller pocket pools that cascade over a long gentle slope. The rocks are really slippery and you have to scoot on your butt but wonderful fun!!! I used my water camera for this pool and there was a grain of sand on the seal and it let water seep into the casing. So my brand new camera is ruined and so are the pictures.

After that we have a picnic lunch and travel back to the town of Darwin. On the way we stop on an old
DinnerDinnerDinner

Water buffalo
WWII airstrip that runs along the Stuart highway #1 the have these planes (wood cutouts) along the airstrip. A perfect photo shoot!

Back in Darwin I get to my hostel get settled and head out for dinner, a Mexican meal of nachos sounds great.

I have a 6:20 flight in the morning to Cairns. Off to bed!






Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Last RequestLast Request
Last Request

A kiss for Craig our guide
NO BULLNO BULL
NO BULL

Yes Bull! Not liking Craig makin moves on his herd!
For Real - ALWAYS CHECK!For Real - ALWAYS CHECK!
For Real - ALWAYS CHECK!

A baby huntsman. Very nasty and will grow to the size of your palm
Florence FallsFlorence Falls
Florence Falls

Awesome place!
A Catherdal Termite moundA Catherdal Termite mound
A Catherdal Termite mound

this is about 10 ft. tall
Fire controlFire control
Fire control

regular small set fires during the winter months too prevent forest fires.


24th July 2011

A not so hairy coo
Wow again Angie. It all looks so wonderful. Keep enjoying. Loving the blogs. x
24th July 2011

The funny thing is I thought I was eating American Bison ( buffalo).
but then I realized the you didn't have American Buffalo. I wanted to see what an Australian water buffalo looked like but it all tasted the same to me!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb