Day 12 - from Salt Creek to Kings Canyon or how to bunker a bus


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Zebra Finches having a drinkZebra Finches having a drinkZebra Finches having a drink

Someone left the tap on too long so the Finches took advantage.
A few moments of drama as we got to Kings Canyon. We hadn't booked any accommodation and we had to decide whether to stay at Kings Creek Station (a cattle station with facilities about 30 km from Kings Canyon) or stay at the Kings Canyon Resort (a place somewhat like Yulara and run by the same people but much smaller of course). It was about 5 km from Kings Canyon and we decided to go with the closer property.

So we drove past the Kings Canyon turnoff to drive on to the resort and sort the accommodation....and then I thought... there is no rush...we will check out the walks first, maybe do a short walk and then head on to the Resort.

So I decided to do a u-turn.

On a highway (with minimal traffic)....

In a 7 metre bus...

I drove off the hotmix and the gravel was sandy... very sandy.... hmmmm

Reverse....nup. Get out and have a look. Hmmm. Looking more like sand and less like gravel.

Then a bus turned up and as we were partly blocking the road... still.... the driver got out and came and had a chat.

Just go forward, you'll be right, just don't turn too tight, he said.

So I did what he said and got another two metres or so and now we were well and truly bogged. deep.

He went off to the Resort for assistance saying don't go anywhere.... funny....

Luckily, as soon as he went, this HUGE black 4WD Chevvy twin cab ute /truck cruised up and stopped. The driver got out. The whole family got out. Looks like you need a hand here mate. I have a brand new winch on the front that we need to test too. So, quick as a flash, family went up and down the road to slow and stop traffic and Jeff (the driver) moved the Chev so that he could winch the bus out of the bunker.

I was somewhat nervous, but jumped in the bus and reversed while the winch was operated and ....out it came. None the worse for the experience.

What a relief. Lovely people that you meet on the road. Jeff (and Karen I think) Neilsen. Absolute Champions. And wouldn't take any money for helping us out.

We snuck off (there were queues
Lenny relaxingLenny relaxingLenny relaxing

Putting a bus in a bunker is very stressful!
of traffic at each end now) to do the Creek walk at the Canyon. Everyone wanted to chat about beaching the bus..... a nice walk anyway.

We checked in to the Resort and had sunset drinks. It's a great place. We decided to stay an extra night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Looking at tomorrows walk...Looking at tomorrows walk...
Looking at tomorrows walk...

Tomorrow - around the rim of the Gorge


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0287s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb