Day 11 - Uluru to Salt Creek


Advertisement
Published: April 11th 2015
Edit Blog Post

After a very full day walking at Kata Tutja (The Olgas), the previous day, we decided a leisurely bike ride around Uluru would see the end of our time here and we would head off to Kings Canyon to explore that area.

The wind remained stubbornly strong. Luckily, it was from ESE and was relatively coolish. We unloaded the bikes at Mala (a walk and facility site at Uluru) and headed out on the 10.6 km loop of the big red rock. Some times you can ride right next to the rock and you are so close you can lean on it. Other times you are detoured hundreds of metres away (so that you may not easily see the secret mens sites). There is a lot of variation that you can see when you are close; overhangs, caves and areas that look like they have been sculpted. We took lots of photos. We hope you like the ones we have posted.

After completing the circumnavigation and eating lunch, we packed away the bikes and got the bus ready to leave Uluru and head out to Kings Canyon. We refuelled at Curtin Springs and decided that we wouldn't risk finishing the drive to Kings Canyon in twilight. We needed a stopover point and Salt Creek looked pretty good. Plenty of space and trees so maybe some birds to see.

We arrived at Salt Creek just as a flock of Major Mitchell cockatoos swept in. They are noisy, pink and very cute. We have included just a few photos.

Many more people stopped here for the night. So much so that we ended up feeling a bit "squeezed". You get to feel that you need a lot more space when there is so much space to go around.

Feeling excited about Kings Canyon tomorrow.

(photo captions asap)


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Salt CreekSalt Creek
Salt Creek

We want more space


Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1634s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb