The Rock Tour - Kings Canyon


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Kings Canyon
January 10th 2012
Published: January 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 118, 07/01/12

Got picked up at 6am and off we went to Kings Canyon. A long drive and we arrived about 12noon and did a lovely walk around the top and stopped off for a swim half way around in a small waterhole, as it was a warm day I jumped in. We learnt a lot of the history about the Canyon including the Aboriginal stories and the scientific/evolution facts.

The whole tour is in the middle of knowhere and you barely seen any cars on the one long road, just desert and shrubs for miles and miles on end - so guess where we slept that night? In a tiny opening about 1km away from the main road in the land with a tiny corrugated shelter and a space for a fire. You sleep in swags, not tents, which is basically a sleeping bag for your sleeping bag with a small 1inch thick matress inside. You put your sleeping bag inside and hop inside your sleeping bag zipping both the sleeping bad and the swag up so you are tucked inside with just your head poking out. Originally we planned to all sleep around the fire but we could see the storm in the distance and before we knew it it hit us and we were getting wet so we went under the shelter where my head still got wet as I slept because the wind was blowing the rain sideways.

It was very odd to be literally outside with all these bugs and have my head just getting hit by the night air (and rain), all in all, it was a fantastic experience to sleep like that.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0764s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb