The Robey's take on the NT Day 2


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
October 7th 2022
Published: October 13th 2022
Edit Blog Post

BolungBolungBolung

The Rainbow Serpent, Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge
An early (for us) buffet breakfast had us feeling full and ready to start the warm 39-degree day heading to Mataranka to swim at Bitter Springs. Unfortunately, a severe road fatality had happened earlier and roads in and out were closed for the day, a very sad tragedy for the town, our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the 2 women whose lives were lost and a solemn reminder to keep safe driving on the roads.

We headed back to the township of Katherine to see what else to do for the day and ended up settling on going back to the Katherine Thermal Pools and spending a couple of hours there before heading back to our hotel to relax and swim in the pool.

We were booked into the Nitmiluk Katherine Gorge sunset cruise and the overhead clouds looked ominous as we approached our destination. Due to the forecasted thunderstorms, the dinner part of the cruise was moved indoors, which we understood but we were also slightly disappointed.

The cruise of the Gorge went ahead and we sailed down Gorge 1 and 2 with a great guide who provided some great cultural talks about the place. The huge rock faces that towered above us from both sides provided an awe-inspiring foreground as we wound our way through. There was a short walk from Gorge 1 to Gorge 2 where we could observe local Jawoyn rock wall paintings before we boarded boat number 2 to travel to the second Gorge. The smell of rain was imminent and the guide alerted us that the tour may be cut short due to the impending storm and in particular lightning but we were able to keep going until it became dangerous.

Part of this Gorge had been used as many an Instagram-worthy picture plus a couple of famous Australian movies including Rogue and Jedda, the first colour Australian feature film with First Nation actors. As we travelled through the sacred area of Bolung, the rainbow serpent, we learnt the traditional names and stories of some of the wildlife and the river itself. The second Gorge is open in the dry season for both swimming and kayaking even wet freshwater crocs, which we learned generally do not attack us as we are too big, good to know.... just got to be careful with the Saltwater ones which occasionally inhabit the Gorge but mostly in the wet season.

We made it to the end of Gorge 2 and as we headed back a huge crack of lightning was seen in between the gorges making for a spectacular display we were all keen to be replicated, this time with our cameras out and ready. The rain came, big drops that became heavier and even though the boat had a roof, the water entered sideways and we were all refreshed by the spray of water.

The short walk back to the first boat between the gorges we were all careful not to slip on the rocks and all but our tour guide made it back unscathed even though we were all soaked to the bone. He fell after trying to jump over a baby snake...

No one was worried about the water drenching as it felt good in the heat. The rain continued and the clouds did not break enough to allow the colours of the sunset to reflect off the rocks of the Gorge but still, it was beautiful and worth seeing.

Arriving back where we first began, we were taken by car to the visitor
First Course - Dinner Sunset Cruise, Nitmiluk (Katherine) GorgeFirst Course - Dinner Sunset Cruise, Nitmiluk (Katherine) GorgeFirst Course - Dinner Sunset Cruise, Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge

From the bottom anti-clockwise Smoked chicken, shredded crocodile and kangaroo. Each used native Australian herbs and fruit to accompany each meat. It was amazing
info centre where we were given sparkling wine with hibiscus and escorted to the tables with candles romantically set up on the deck that overlooked the trees and mountains surrounding the Gorge.

We sat at a table with another couple who we got to know well over the next few hours as we compared lives and exchanged travel stories.

Our first course arrived, a plate of shredded crocodile, kangaroo with Rosella chutney and smoked chicken, accompanied by native Australian herbs. First class.

Second course for Kym and me was an amazing lemon Myrtle crispy freshwater barramundi. As I have multiple dietary requirements, I had a plate of foods that I could eat and felt special about how much trouble the staff went to be able to accommodate my food restrictions.

As we dined the lightning did not stop and such an amazing light show played out in the distance with the sound and smell of rain adding to an Australian atmosphere.

Dessert was a creme brulee for Kym and meringue and fresh fruit for me. Every mouthful of the food we ate was delicious and we made sure we savoured every bite, such an amazing
Second Course - Dinner Sunset Cruise, Nitmiluk (Katherine) GorgeSecond Course - Dinner Sunset Cruise, Nitmiluk (Katherine) GorgeSecond Course - Dinner Sunset Cruise, Nitmiluk (Katherine) Gorge

Freshly caught Barramundi with Lemon Myrtle and greens- Superb
dining experience to end a wonderful evening. Highly recommend.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb