Day 4 - Tennant Creek to Katherine / Kakadu


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Katherine
July 2nd 2018
Published: July 2nd 2018
Edit Blog Post

Day 4 - Tennant Creek to Katherine



Well well well, before I talk about this day I need to re cap on the previous night. You will remember I mentioned the fireworks. Well the local indigenous youth had decided to have some fireworks fun right next to our cabins. Let me just say their antics were crazy by any standard, even my son Paul was scared by their antics. All was quiet by Midnight although this was after a stray firework hit our cabin and lit the outside of our cabin up. No damage but certainly gave us a scare. Something to taok about in the morning.

Today was a shorter run of 670km compared to the previous 1,000km runs.

We stopped at quite a few pubs and roadhouses. All pretty much now starting to show real top end character. Most are old and put together with old nails and timber and corrugated iron and haven’t been painted since before paint was invented. One worth mentioning was Larrimah which is a tiny hamlet with a population of 11. It has the “Big Stubby” out the front to attract visitors and an old pub of normal top end character. See the photos. We also visited Mataranka hot spring Pools. We didn’t swim as we were pressed for time but they were very impressive. We arrived at about 4pm at Katherine. We will be here until Friday. One thing I wanted to raise was the obvious termite mounds now frequenting the sides of the roads. These mounds are getting larger and larger as we travel further North. I have posted a picture. The mounds are used by the termites to help ventilate the nest which is underground.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Three trailer road train passing me on the road.Three trailer road train passing me on the road.
Three trailer road train passing me on the road.

When they pass you have to hold on for dear life as the wind sheer is quite strong
Mataranka Hot springs. Mataranka Hot springs.
Mataranka Hot springs.

This spring is a stream and is continuous clean water. A little crowded though.


3rd July 2018

Road train photo
Well done on the blogs Tony keep it up. Great photo of the passing road train. How did you do that?
3rd July 2018

Road Train
GoPro Gary.
3rd July 2018

Road Train
GoPro Gary.

Tot: 0.28s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.2226s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb