What a Croc


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

July 20th, 2011

Joining a new group today, 4 French speaking people on board from France and the island of Guadolope , they have an interpreter on board with his trainee. Then there is the main guide who is very very handsome. I will be spending 1 ½ days with this group before changing over to a different group. Like I said a very strange tour that is piece mealed together.

The plan is to drive from Darwin to Kakadu ( kak a due) National Park. It's 20,000 square kilometers and belong to the Aboriginals. The ir ancestors believed that The Rainbow Serpent created the landscape in and around Kakadu. No mater who or what created the park it is stunning with the rock formations, varied habitats and the ranges of biodiversity has put this place on the World Heritage list for Natural Beauty and for Cultural Importance.

It doesn't take anytime at all to spot crocodile transversing the waterways. We embark on a river cruise to get up close and personal with the crocs. The east Alligator River was mistakingly named after an explorer who had seen alligator in Florida and name the river thinking they were the same animal. But there are no alligators in Australia. We were able to site quite a few. We got to see a large crocodile attack a baby one and swam around with it in is teeth. We also got a demonstration on hunting tools used by the locals. We

We were also told about the various plants and things found in the wild that are used for common aliments. Our medical system would be cheaper if we could go out into the backyard and solve our stomach, head and other ailments for free.

The next visit is to Ubrir Rock. This is some amazing Rock Art done by the Aborginals. The art was often drawn over because it was not the art but the telling of the story while drawing that taught the people the important things for survival. Some of the art is as old as 3,000 years to 50 years old. Some of the dating can be done by the animals and when they became extinct. Most are 1500 to 2000 years ago.

The Aboriginals are the oldest living culture in the world. And those that had the hardest time surviving are the one that still exists today and those tribes were here in the Outback regions. Every things was done for the sole purpose for surviving. What they ate, who they married, hunting , searching for water holes were vital for survival.

Tonight's dinner is a candlelight dinner with salad and Barramundi fish that was delicious. The meat is mild flavor and a nice thick filet. The interesting thing about this fish is that they are hermaphrodites. That means that they are born males but when the mature they become females. Interesting?! Females and marturity, males and immaturity?! HMMM!!!

The night sky is so great, the stars are brilliant and the milky way is awesome. Can't always see that at home. However the center of the Milky Way is here in the Southern Hemisphere so it is easier to see. The weather here is warmer but not overly warm. In the 70's. Winter in The Top End is the best time to come here. It's the dry season and the temps cooler. The summer brings rain, humidity and extreme high temps.





Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Candlelight DinnerCandlelight Dinner
Candlelight Dinner

Barramundi and greens


23rd July 2011

Crocodile Rock
Looks fantastic. It truely is one of the most beautiful parts of Australia. Frangie is insisting that I take her to meet the tour guide.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb