Day 19 i think


Advertisement
Published: October 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,Bron here. A day behind but we lost connection. Anyway, here goes nothing. Up early (nothing new yet) and headed to the cultural centre here at Cooinda. The Kakadu info brochure indicated a snack bar ( we presumed coffee) but no. We also presumed that it would be air conditioned, wrong again. But, the information was fantastic. It was based on the culture of the local tribes and included artifacts, movies, photos , fantastically set out but incrediby stifling. As i am blogging (Ken this is for you) Ro is taking photos and rob and i are not particuarly impressed. Maybe they will end up on the blog, who knows.
Anyway back to the resort for that long awaited latte and we then head to the Yellow Water Cruise. An hour and a half of incredible scenery ( is incredible my word for the day). The croc count ended at 10. Amazing creatures. At one stage everyone was looking at one from our side of the boat, we felt an amazing lean and commented that people should perhaps move back to their own seats. The croc was silent, moving stealthily throught the water making barely a ripple. It was great to finally see one up close and personal. I'm happy to have seen it, not particuarly keen to see any more. In the paper today it talked about one taking a tourist in Qld. I can see how it can happen so quickly. They are camoflauged and silent, scary really. The rest of the bird life was awesome. Apparently Kakadu has one third of Australias bird population. We saw hundreds. We could not keep up with all the names. Ruby had an alphabetical list going of what we saw on the water and was doubling up on many a letter. We saw Jabiru, their nests which were humungous, ducks, geese, wild brumbys. The list could go on and on and on. The water was full of fish. Ro got so excited he booked a fishing trip for the next day (more to come on that). Anyway, it finished and we headed back to camp for lunch and the pool for the afternoon. Have I told you yet that it was hot?


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb