Kakadu to Darwin


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We finally made it to Kakadu. In the morning we went to Bowali Visitors Centre to get an area map and find out which River Cruise to do. Bought a Didgeridoo then headed to Jabiru. Booked a 3pm East Alligator Cruise, checked emails at the Tourist Bureau. Bakery sold out at 12.30pm, except for Kangaroo Pies. Had sandwiches at Lake. Crocodile warning signs everywhere. On way to River Cruise - went across Cahill River Crossing in car to Arnhem Land, whoops missed the sign that says you need a permit. Turned around and came straight back. Saw lots of crocodiles on Cruise. Had a spear throwing demo/Culture Talk in Arnhem Land. Went to Ubirr Rock Art Site and saw the sunset and another ranger talk about the flood plains and Kakadu. Late back so had tea at the bistro at Cooinda. Dodged the mozzies and straight to bed.

After 2 nights a Jim Jim Billabong, we progressed to the campground at Jim Jim Falls. Booked tickets on the barge to Twin Falls, had to do another river crossing - only 600mm. Twin Falls was beautiful, had to walk over a few rocks. Floating platform over river with pump showers for
Arnhem Land signArnhem Land signArnhem Land sign

Whoops back across the river
a cool-off. Kids got soaked. Back to Jim Jim Falls and a 900m walk to falls. We thought not hard, until we saw the 6ft boulders we had to climb and walk around. Hard work, for not much effort - only a trickle. Water too cold to even think about a dip. Had to get out of the gorge before it got too dark. Had a lovely shower and late tea. Slept well.

Saturday went to Nourlangie Rock and Mamukala Wetlands with a huge bird hide, on way out of Kakadu. Huge burn off near Wetlands. On to Windows on the Wetlands Visitors Centre just out of Kakadu. We got Kakaduded out - too commercialised. Continued to Darwin. Got last site at Caravan Park. Only downfall is nearly under flight path to Darwin Airport. Can hear the V8 Super cars in Hidden Valley from Camper and RAAF F1’s or Hornets doing a fly over. Can hear, but not see them. Went to Stokes Hill Wharf for Fish & Chips. Huge piece of flake. Fed the fish some crusts of bread before getting back for bed.

Sunday went to Shopping Centre for bit & pieces, then Mindil Beach Market. Had tea there. Kids bought a few things. Monday sitting around pool doing travelblog, so we are up to date and signing off for who knows how long.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Croc SignCroc Sign
Croc Sign

Makes you think twice
Jim Jim FallsJim Jim Falls
Jim Jim Falls

Gill is standing next to some of the boulders we had to get over and around


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0972s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb