Alice - Devils Marbles - Mataranka Springs - Kakadu


Advertisement
Published: July 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Sunday morning and yes we all went to a market (can’t get homesick that way). Todd Street Mall is transformed into a market with imported, craft, veggies and Aboriginal Art. Had lunch at Botanical Gardens - lots of wattles, very dry. Saw Anzac Hill, views all over Alice. Had an easy afternoon by the pool - kids’ choice instead of Desert Park. Went to Post Office first thing to collect replacement spas for kids’ swags. Got yoga matting to replace cardboard on rear windscreen.

Filled up fuel and headed North. Went past Tropic of Capricorn marker. Ti Tree for lunch. Stopped at Wycliffe Well, the UFO capital. Arrived at Devils Marbles at 4pm and it was already busy. Indigenous Ranger talk and watched a DVD. Found out how to find a Witchetty Grub (Alex is psyching himself up). Kids had a climb over the Devils Marbles before we left - try to spot them in the photo.

Drove through Tennant Creek - topped up with fuel. Stopped Renner Spring for lunch. Saw the V8 super cars heading to Darwin for Hidden Valley Races. Gorrie Airfield was suggested as a free campsite, but we couldn’t find any toilets so went to Mataranka Springs Homestead. It was Territory Day and we were treated to fireworks after tea and a Country & Western singer - Holly.

Had a swim in the Springs next morning and drove to Katherine. Had a look around, bought supplies at supermarket. Went to Katherine Gorge, not much to see unless you take a cruise or a long walk. It was 32° and we wanted to get to Kakadu before dark.

Past Pussy Cat Flats where there is a Rodeo, Racecourse with a golf course in the middle and huge termite mounds 2m plus. Drove into Kakadu and it was very smoky. Stopped at a roadhouse to check, but it was only control burning. Happens all the time during the during (Winter) season. Arrived at Jim Jim Billabong Campground - Free and only 1 other car.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Devils MarblesDevils Marbles
Devils Marbles

All in a day's work
Devils MarblesDevils Marbles
Devils Marbles

My fingers are starting to hurt
Devils Marbles CampDevils Marbles Camp
Devils Marbles Camp

Spot the big kid & little kids


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0604s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb