DAY 34 BARKLY HOMESTEAD-DEVILS MARBLES (KARLU KARLU)


Advertisement

I woke early and walked to the road, leaving Jane to sleep. I caught the sunrise and felt the freshness of the new dawn.

We took our time readying ourselves this morning as we knew it was not going to be a long driving day. We spread out each day, no matter the distances, because we stop to view and read and explore each and every point of interest or not so interesting, knowing that we will not be back again. There are too many other places to explore.

Yesterday, travelling from Mt Isa to Barkly Homestead we counted over 100 road kills. Today, from Barkly Homestead to the Stuart Highway, not one. Yesterday we crossed so many creeks and rivers (ranging from dry, to pools, to running). Today, not one. What can we surmise from that?

Before Tennant Creek we visited the old Telegraph Station servicing the Overland Telegraph Line which depended on the resourcefulness, ingenuity and bush skills of the people who worked it. In 1872 it took 7 hours to send a message from Adelaide to England. The messages were relayed along the Overland Telegraph Line repeated from station to station using Morse Code. Today,
within seconds a message can be sent and received. Oh, our pioneers, how I respect their courage and spirit.

Into and out of Tennant Creek … I leave this for us.

Further along we took a dirt track westward, to the Ghan Railway Line bridge over the dry Bonney Creek. As I took the track, Jane said, “No”. I quoted the Joe Cocker song, “Have Faith” … in me, all will be fine. It was. She was all smiles again.

Arriving at our destination, Devils Marbles (Karlu Karlu) campsite (online site booking and checked by a ranger … no free camping), we busily set up the Xtrk and had a bite to eat. The wind was up. The sun had a bite to it. We walked in the evening and caught the sunset. We weren’t disappointed. It is a sacred and important meeting place rich in dreaming sites for the local Aboriginal people. All 4 Aboriginal groups of the area have strong connections to this place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement














Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1023s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb