Darwin for two days


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
April 22nd 2015
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Darwin Military MuseumDarwin Military MuseumDarwin Military Museum

A replica of one of the 9.2 inch guns defending the harbour - the originals were sold to the Japanese for scrap metal. The museum had a good section on the bombing raid of 19 Feb 42 (and subsequent attacks) as well as a Vietnam display.
Geo: -12.4675, 130.847

Boeing 737-800 to Darwin. 3.5 hours flight time and 176 seats 3x3. We were lucky to have a spare seat in our row but no TV screens and the seats didn't recline.

The Adina Vibe Hotel in the newish Darwin Waterfront Precinct is comfortable but unremarkable. It's a short walk to the Smith St mall and the Darwin CBD, past the government locality.

We had an enjoyable dinner at Tim's Surf and Turf on Leichartdt St - a very popular local venue notable for its gigantic portion sizes. Sensibly, customers can choose a half size meal for a reduced cost.

On Thu we had a lazy start and then caught the Hop On Hop Off tourist bus to see the local sights. Stops at Cullen Bay, the Museum and Art Gallery of NT and the new Military Museum at East Point Reserve were all worthwhile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 2, Displayed: 2


Advertisement

Darwin Convention CentreDarwin Convention Centre
Darwin Convention Centre

Set in the Waterfront Precinct. Behind the trees you can just see the "Wave Pool" where 1.5m waves are generated and people float around on inflatable rings. The dry season officially starts on 1 May and things are quiet in the wet season.


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0304s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb